Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Lets talk dealerships and service

Old 02-05-2010, 11:22 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lets talk dealerships and service

So I figured I would rant alittle about my complete dissatifaction with my local dealership.

December 2 2009 I took my jeep in for a non working E-Swaybar motor. I told the guy at the counter the plug was melted and there was alot of play in the swayber when it was locked which produced a clunk whenever the jeep was taken over an uneven bump. I told them it will need a new swaybar, new actuator motor and wiring harness. They told me I am not a licenced mechanic and they will look at it and find out what is wrong and order parts accordingly.

So I get the jeep back and they said "Yes we have ordered the sway bar, actuator motor and the wiring harness and we should see them by the new year." Everything was moving along swimmingly.

So a week into the new year I had no call about when to get everything installed, so I went in to ask where my parts are... without hesitation the service manager said my parts were a week away and he is expecting them soon.

So another month goes by and on monday Feb 1 2010 I go back into the dealership to ask them about instead of replacing the stock unit if we can trade up for a teraflex swaybar unit. In the course of the guy telling me no, I asked him well how much longer do I have to wait for my swaybar and such.

I leaned over the counter and looked at his computer screen to find that they recieved the parts on Dec 9 So the service manager says "we can get you in tomorrow to get this installed as we have all the parts in stock to complete the job."

I drop the jeep off yesterday to get my stuff fixed and all of a sudden I get a call from my wife saying "dodge called and I wouldnt be happy.... They didnt order the wiring harness because they figured they could fix the one on my jeep." (Which is rediculous as all the pins were melted out of the plug itself)

First this is chicken shit to call my wife and not me directly as I gave him my number at work and told him to call me if anything arrises. Second there is no way of repairing a completely melted plug.

So at the end of the day I go pick up my jeep and schedual it in for next week to get the harness installed. As I am driving through town I am noticing the clunk is still there when come off curbs or anything where the swaybar has to flex.

So I am thinking I have a diffrent issue... when I got home I crawled under my jeep to see if I can pinpoint where my clucnk is and I noticed they only installed the actuator to the old sloppy broken sway bar.

So I go back this afternon to ask why they only installed half the parts. The service manager says thats all they ordered as they were unaware that the sway bar itself has play in it. I told him "Bullshit I told you guys it was broken two months ago as well I spoke about it the other day and I saw it on the computer that it was in."

He said "No it is a tow bar recall that they got in for my jeep not the swaybar." So I asked "kinda wierd you guy ordered that when i didnt need it on the same day as the actuator motor and recieved it all at the same time huh?" then I proceeded to ask for him to show me the same screen as the other day and instead he produced a recall paper that stated something about a tow bar and wouldnt access the computer system.

He said he put an order in right away and the sway bar will show up with the harness next week and all will be taken care of. I told him he is a bold face liar and the swaybar is sitting in the back on the shelf.

In the mean time I am speaking with a sales person about trading in my 2000 cherokee for a 2008 Ram 1500 and she is getting disgusted with what is traspiring at the service counter as well.

In the end I am going to one day end up with my new parts... it is just a matter of when and at how much patients is it going to take.

Sorry for the long speal but am I out of line for being ultra angry?
Old 02-05-2010, 12:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Not out of line at all.

The service advisor is right that they need to do their own diagnosis, but everything after that is BS.

I cringe whenever I hear stories like this. So far I've only found 1 bad dealer out of 3 when dealing with service... I hope my luck holds.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sounds like you have the same dealerships as here in the states.
You didn't say if you were talking to the service manager or just a service guy.
You should have only talked to the manager when you knew something was not right.
If they don't fix it on your next visit, I would even skip the service mangager
and go find the GM of the dealership. The higher you go up the food chain the better.
And don't forget these dealership are often owned by just one person or maybe a partnership, as a last resort.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:58 PM
JK Junkie

I was talking to a service writer the manager is brand new as of monday so he is not really artound he is learning his new position or some bs like that
Old 02-05-2010, 03:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Take is easy on the Service Advisor. I did that job for a while and it sucks. Way too much of what goes on is out of their control. I gave that job up and went and got a badge and gun. Now I get to deal with people who at least have a little sanity, lol.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:26 PM
JK Freak

That sucks. I'm glad I work on my own stuff. Hope you get it fixed and back on the trails soon.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:28 PM
JK Super Freak

I dont understand why some dealers are like this. My dealer is so nice that we bought the wife a 09 winter beater to go along with my 08.

The biggest reason that they got the sale was how good the service department treats me.
Old 02-05-2010, 05:19 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by camaroguy
Take is easy on the Service Advisor. I did that job for a while and it sucks. Way too much of what goes on is out of their control. I gave that job up and went and got a badge and gun. Now I get to deal with people who at least have a little sanity, lol.
I am a very understanding person but when someone lies to my face and completely insults me then wont back up what they are saying I start to get alittle on edge
Old 02-06-2010, 05:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

It really sucks, sounds like the dealership that I deal with in NY. When they painted my hinges it was a week ordeal and the body shop said that they didn't want to deal with me (I was never rude) and would only deal with the service manager (the body shop was located at another shop that the company owns).

The service manager and service advisor both ignore me now. Never get email replies because they are documentation. Now they won't send me surveys for customer service? Last time I was there it took three hours to change my wheels out? What a joke, probably will get another brand next time unfortunately. I love my Jeep! The dealership has put a bad taste in my mouth.

I too worked in a dealership and know how frustrating it can be but wanted customer retention for the business.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kane516
It really sucks, sounds like the dealership that I deal with in NY. When they painted my hinges it was a week ordeal and the body shop said that they didn't want to deal with me (I was never rude) and would only deal with the service manager (the body shop was located at another shop that the company owns).

The service manager and service advisor both ignore me now. Never get email replies because they are documentation. Now they won't send me surveys for customer service? Last time I was there it took three hours to change my wheels out? What a joke, probably will get another brand next time unfortunately. I love my Jeep! The dealership has put a bad taste in my mouth.

I too worked in a dealership and know how frustrating it can be but wanted customer retention for the business.
Don't giveup on Jeep, just find a different dealership. Then when out of warranty you could skip the dealerships all together.
Please tell me why you even went to the dealership to have wheels changed out. Go to a tire shop.

Quick Reply: Lets talk dealerships and service