Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Let's see...

Old 02-27-2008, 02:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't get the feeling there would be less people who could afford to buy...by just looking at some of these forums, many cry broke, but spend outrageous sums of money (I mean waste) on ridiculous junk that typically is found on factory sponsored vehicles driven by pros...I don't see any pros here, and by the looks of things, I don't see too many broke folk...my glass is half full...I guess yours is half empty.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:22 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Dustoff '68
I don't get the feeling there would be less people who could afford to buy...by just looking at some of these forums, many cry broke, but spend outrageous sums of money (I mean waste) on ridiculous junk that typically is found on factory sponsored vehicles driven by pros...I don't see any pros here, and by the looks of things, I don't see too many broke folk...my glass is half full...I guess yours is half empty.
I guess your glass is empty when it comes to economics.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

PhD in public health...not economics.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:49 PM
JK Newbie

PhD in public health...not economics.
I never meant to insult you, after reading my last post it looked like it had a big attitude problem, haha. Sorry.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Not really Ho...less warranty work if DC uses stronger and higher quality materials; less payout on warranty claims translates into keeping more profit and giving the buyer what he should get for his money...the cost of adding on some of these standards is minimal considering what one sees as the price for say a hardtop on the sticker vs. buying it afterwards...nope...can be done.
How well is the lifetime warranty for Chrysler doing? It attracted a FEW more buyers but it by no means is making them the leader in the industry.
More/Less warranty IMO is not a very good selling/marketing point to begin with. It may be a small factor in their decision making but people in general are very short sighted.
"How does this effect my pocket now?"

In any case if it means anything, after speaking with the Jeep Engineers at Camp Jeep they were disappointed with the materials used in production. Its up to someone else higher up then them on material selection.

One of the major problems is labor unions. They account for several thousand, ~$3k IIRC for each American made vehicle driving the cost to the consumer up. But I'm not prepared to open that can of worms
Old 02-28-2008, 10:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Going forward I think it is unlikely you will find many new HD parts in Wranglers (or any vehicle).
Fuel economy concerns are going to mean that they are forever going to be trying to save weight where they can and get away with the smallest engine/drivetrain parts they can.

I personally think the great thing about the Wrangler is that can be configuered by the buyer to meat their needs. Whether they want a cheap 4x4, convertible, utility vehicle, or hardcore offroad machine it's up to them. The entry cost for a basic X is quite resonable for what you get or what you can do with it, but if someone wishes they can spend all kinds of money to get what they want/need from it.

To sum it up there should be more trim levels/options not less. I think the 23S package should have been called the 'Sport' rather than being an X for example.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:09 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JLightning9
How about a non-mini van engine? Something with a little more balls.

Like a 528 HEMI crate motor.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Anyone ever notice the thickness of the hood steel on a Jeep Liberty 2007? That's what I would like to see on the JK...shouldn't cost more...as for trim levels, I believe it would drop the overall cost with just 2 levels...the X and the Rubicon...what would distinguish the Rubi from the X would only be a few things...mud/snow tires, front sway bar disco (worthless feature given the number of issues I have heard, witnessed, and read about), lockers front and rear, decal, and interior trim...Yes Essentials should be standard on ALL JK's, but the Rubi's would perhaps have some sort of unique identifier...as for the Sahara model...I don't really see the point, given that its only claim to fame is/are painted fenders and goofy side steps, and benefitting from the khaki colored hard top and soft top (I like that khaki color). I'm done for now...I think I got it all....
Old 02-28-2008, 01:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yes but to Chrysler right now; every penny counts. So I don't see them giving you more for less (or same) anytime soon. Expect worse before it improves. I'd agree the Sahara isn't quite meeting it's full potential. Everything (but the seats and silly fenders/overlays) are available on the X for not much price difference. Although in Canada a Freedom Top is standard so some money is saved there, and there are some options like the MyGig and remote start that you can't get on an X from the factory. It provides a step up from X for those who don't need the Rubicon.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

as for the Sahara model...I don't really see the point, given that its only claim to fame is/are painted fenders and goofy side steps, and benefitting from the khaki colored hard top and soft top (I like that khaki color). I'm done for now...I think I got it all....
I have to disagree. I may be biased lol but, the sahara is the "luxury" model. It offers more for your money (option out a x with the same options as a sahara and there's not much of a price difference, plus you get painted flares, etc.). Sure you can get a loaded x which is basicaly a sahara, but with the sahara you get the painted flares, 18'' wheels, silver trim. It differentiates itself from the rest atleast. All trim levels serve their purpose and appeal to different people and budgets IMO.

Quick Reply: Let's see...