Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Legality of Beadlocks?

Old 01-10-2012, 07:42 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BigMAK1
In my opinion - As to the manufacturer's always putting "for off-road use only" and/or "not for highway use" is largely due to the cost associated with paying off whatever gov't agency (MILLIONS) to be allowed to put a "DOT Approved" sticker on it. That's simply not feasible for a product with a limited and specific market (off roaders).
As viable as that may be, the larger concern for them is being sued when people mis-mount/mis-install the product and want to hold the manufacturer responsible for damages/injuries when the wheel fails and the tire disintegrates at highway speeds. By stating the product is for off-road use, they are covering their asses and putting onus on the user. At that point the legal argument becomes the user having to prove the wheel was defective in some fashion.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Joe Boxer
As viable as that may be, the larger concern for them is being sued when people mis-mount/mis-install the product and want to hold the manufacturer responsible for damages/injuries when the wheel fails and the tire disintegrates at highway speeds. By stating the product is for off-road use, they are covering their asses and putting onus on the user. At that point the legal argument becomes the user having to prove the wheel was defective in some fashion.
True That.

And on a slight de-rail - you need to get out of the closet.

(noting the parts in your sig!)
Old 01-10-2012, 08:29 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BigMAK1
True That.

And on a slight de-rail - you need to get out of the closet.

(noting the parts in your sig!)
I was bouncing around the country from October through mid-December. Came home from Christmas vacation to my home being broken into. Once I get that mess cleaned up, the parts will go on.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:07 PM
JK Newbie

Default Insurance question

My question would be this; If a bead lock operator crashed his vehicle and killed someone.....would your insurance company cover damages when one of those TV attorneys got hold of the case????? Regardless if it was tire related or not. Just a curiosity cuz I really like them Walker Evans locks!!!!!!
Old 01-29-2012, 05:30 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by MossGaBoss
My question would be this; If a bead lock operator crashed his vehicle and killed someone.....would your insurance company cover damages when one of those TV attorneys got hold of the case????? Regardless if it was tire related or not. Just a curiosity cuz I really like them Walker Evans locks!!!!!!
If the cause of the accident is due to the tire/wheel... I can see an insurance company not covering damages (medical bills too) and making a case against such.

TV attorneys are hacks and make their money on settlements. Their cases tend to be ones that strike against reputation rather than having much legal merit.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:46 AM
JK Newbie

The AEV Pintler beadlock wheel is DOT approved and I've seen another that is DOT approved but don't remember the brand. OMF will convert almost any wheel to a real or fake beadlock and just by looking at them they look the same. $1150 would cover beadlocks and powdercoating on all 5 of my stock Jeep wheels.

Quick Reply: Legality of Beadlocks?