Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Legality of Beadlocks?

Old 01-08-2012, 05:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am out here in KY and i see them everywhere and for the most part if you get pulled over whos really going to know if they are real or if they are look alikes?
Old 01-08-2012, 06:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by motorsarget
The problem with the beadlock ring coming off has nothing to do with
damaging another vehicle. A true beadlock retains the outer bead of the tire to the wheel, so if the ring comes off, so does the outer bead of the tire
. With nothing retaining the tire to the wheel, it obviously goes flat instantaneously and you crash. That's why they are illegal. I am a Rhode Island state inspector, and they are very clear that it is illegal here.
Well there ya go!! thanks for the education
Old 01-08-2012, 06:18 PM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Red08JK
Well there ya go!! thanks for the education
Haven't had any issues with our beadlocks and if I get pulled over I'll say they're fake locks.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:15 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by cppower
It would help for those who indicate that beadlocks are illegal in their state, to insert a link to something that proves that.
Not that I doubt any of you, but it might help others in searching for similar language for their states.
Regarding the source to my screen shot, you are right... I should have pasted a link as well. This is where i thank you for cleaning up my perceived mess.

Assuming that you read the excerpt before/after posting the link, you read that this isn't a state matter. The SAE is applicable across state lines. Inherently, the assumption from both of our posts is that each state abides by the SAE and, thus, finds beadlocks to be illegal.

You posted part of it, Did you read the part at the bottom about reprint permission...
The three points made after the excerpt I posted state the rationale behind the SAE decision. It doesn't negate the actuality of the measure. I posted the important part, the part that addresses legality... which was the question posed. Now, if anyone is curious as to why... they can read the subsequent three points which are noted at the link that you provided It doesn't change my post, but, again, I, for one, appreciate you posting the link... which I omitted. I'm not sure why this is an argumentative measure.

Furthering the point and the conversation... beadlocks are for off-road use, they aren't explicitly legal in any state. Could a state have potential loopholes, sure, but I don't think that changes the intent of the law. Now, if you wanted to argue the point... your direction could be towards whether the manufacturer clearly and distinctively stated that the product is for off-road use only. Save for that, you are left to the legal verbiage in each state. If the product is marketed as off-road use only, you don't have an argument against the state for telling you that the wheels are illegal. See the sick cycle here?

Properly installed and routinely checked, it's absolutely possible to run beadlocks on the road and never get caught. If you do so, you have to accept the associated consequences (which include being busted by the authorities). I will be running beadlocks for on-road use and off-road use. I have accepted the inherent and related consequences.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:16 PM
JK Freak

Did not mean to be argumentative, just informative...

I would still like to read something from states where some posters have indicated that they were indeed illegal.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:49 PM
JK Freak

There is currently not one state that prohibits Beadlocks in their vehicle code.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:16 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by rustyshackleford
how about you look it up yourself???? no need for us to prove something to you.
I simply asked previously that if people think or know that it is illegal in their state, to provide something to the other users so that they may look for similar language in the laws of their states.
I already know that there is nothing in the Texas law that states that they are illegal, but it would be beneficial to see if there is something obscure that some states use to indicate that they are unlawful in some way.
That information could be used by users in other states to investigate further.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

I run beadlocks on my daily driver and at 24 bolts per ring I'm not the slightest bit concerned about that ring coming off, ever.

Also it's true that the ring holds the bead but there is a small bead on the wheel - i.e. the ring can be removed without the tire going POOF flat. I can't imagine it's any different on other beadlocks or wouldn't they be damn near impossible to mount as I'm quite certain the beadlock ring alone isn't an airtight seal? And with the ring off I'd have to hit a decent pothole on the highway to blow the bead (of-course it'd be stupid to ever run the wheel without the ring). The ring is there to hold the bead particularly in low pressure use and pinch conditions (crawling) where it would be prone to pop off the bead.

So anyways based on what that link says I think it could be interpretted as "beadlocks are legal" as long as the beadlock ring isn't the only thing holding the tire to the wheel - i.e. as long as the tire stays on the wheel with the ring off under normal conditions.

Of-course it'll always depend on the mood of whomever pulls you over!
Old 01-10-2012, 07:28 AM
JK Freak

I simply asked previously that if people think or know that it is illegal in their state, to provide something to the other users so that they may look for similar language in the laws of their states.
I already know that there is nothing in the Texas law that states that they are illegal, but it would be beneficial to see if there is something obscure that some states use to indicate that they are unlawful in some way.
That information could be used by users in other states to investigate further.
If you are looking for something explicit, you're not going to find it. That's not the argument here though. The underlying issue here is (1) states are using SAE J2530 as guidance, (2) manufacturers of beadlock wheels are stating that they are for off-road use only. If a particular police officer or highway patrolmen is in the know, they can give you a ticket for something equivalent to improperly equipped vehicle or what-have-you. You are more than welcome to go to court over it, fight it, but that would be a really, really poor decision given the marketing of the equipment. It's because of consumer law(s) and protection that the equipment (beadlock wheels) are explicitly stated as off-road use only.

If you go through life only heeding the black and white legality of the law, you're opening yourself up to a world of hurt. The premise of my post was to educate those questioning legality. Please keep in mind that I did state above my intent to run beadlocks on the street. I accept whatever comes my way. Think of it as going without a front license plate... if you live in a state that requires a front plate and you decide to go without, you accepted the risk. If you put that plate in your front window (instead of on the front bumper) and get a similar ticket, again... you have accepted the risk of not attaching the plate where it is supposed to be.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

In my opinion - As to the manufacturer's always putting "for off-road use only" and/or "not for highway use" is largely due to the cost associated with paying off whatever gov't agency (MILLIONS) to be allowed to put a "DOT Approved" sticker on it. That's simply not feasible for a product with a limited and specific market (off roaders).

Quick Reply: Legality of Beadlocks?