Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Is this legal? Light question

Old 06-27-2008, 07:36 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So the lights above the windshield would need to be covered? Doesn't Jeep sell the liberties this way? I've never seen covers for these lights.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:50 PM
JK Freak

Here take a look at this:
http://www.sidekickoffroad.com/offroadlites.htm
Old 06-27-2008, 08:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

regarding the liberty light bar, they do come with covers, and yes it's illegal for them to be uncovered on public roadways since they're above the headlights. (at least in Illinois) It just depends on how bored or how anal the local cops are about it.

Clay
Old 06-27-2008, 08:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by SH0RTBUS
So the lights above the windshield would need to be covered? Doesn't Jeep sell the liberties this way? I've never seen covers for these lights.
Here you go....

Old 06-27-2008, 09:03 PM
JK Freak

Oops! Well never mind then
Old 06-27-2008, 10:09 PM
JK Freak

All I know is that the cops in Utah wouldn't care*. A lot of them have Jeeps themselves and are pretty lenient.

*Unless its one of those wench cops that seems to be in a constant state of PMS. There are two occupations that women shouldn't be allowed to have: sportscaster, and police officer. Can I get an "Amen, brother"?
Old 06-27-2008, 10:52 PM
JK Junkie

Man I love living in AZ, no laws at all to that affect, though I do have covers for my lights for when I head to California.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First off let me say that is a sweet looking Jk you have. Now on to the lights.
I would agree with what has already been posted. The ones above your headlights are what got you the ticket, as they would be considered auxillary lights, at least here in Pa, and must there be covered when driving on any road or highway, and let me add rightfully so.
I don't know whether they are foglights or driving lights, but by the looks of the "lighting pic", I would say driving lights, and therefore should be hooked into the high beam circuit. At least for the lower ones. The upper ones should in no way be used at all except off-road, and therefore be covered at all times except off-road. Here in Pa the police are very critical of lights that are mounted such as yours, and I stand behind that 150%. There is nothing worse than rounding a curve at night on a dark road, and coming face to face with an idiot who has about four aux lamps turned on and mounted in such a way that instantly blinds you, except of course getting a call from the hospital to find out your wife and grandaughter were admited after her vehicle ran off the road into a ditch, and then finding out the reason was that some asshole idiot had not only his fogs with his highbeams on but also two aux lights mounted on this brushguard and two roof mounted lights on also. The police got the guy about 3 miles down the road because someone following my wife called 911 on their cellphone, and the guy blinded the cop responding.
There's nothing wrong with installing lights on your Jeep, but for christsake do it right.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:17 PM
JK Freak

Sorry that happened to you. I've been weary of the same thing as I've been installing lights.

In my search I came accross the CA code & posted it here...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43982

See the bottom of the post>

Hope that helps.
Old 06-28-2008, 03:57 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by HOMEGLASS
[IMG][/IMG]
Reading that code paragraph, I don't read anything that limits the covering of aux lights to just those above the stock headlights.

Interestingly, I bought my first new car at McCune Motors in Chula Vista. A Basin Street Blue 1973 Plymouth Duster with the 318 and a three speed manual. I really enjoyed that car; wish I still had it.

Nice looking Jeep, BTW.

Quick Reply: Is this legal? Light question