Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

led tail light laws

Old 05-22-2009, 04:39 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default led tail light laws

I really like the look of round led tail lights on the jk. Such as the warrior product. I have read somplace on the forum that there not legal cause you cannot see it from the side is this true? I live in NY.

Last edited by mattymat04; 05-23-2009 at 01:35 AM.
Old 05-23-2009, 02:14 AM
JK Newbie

Call up your local police department and ask. They should know.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:09 PM
JK Newbie

I hope you're not making a negative generalization about Police Officers. It is part of the job to know the inspection code and we're a pretty good resource when it comes to questions of the legality of certain vehicular modifications.
Old 05-23-2009, 11:16 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ctaggart
I hope you're not making a negative generalization about Police Officers. It is part of the job to know the inspection code and we're a pretty good resource when it comes to questions of the legality of certain vehicular modifications.

DOH!!! And he lives in your state too!!!
Old 05-24-2009, 10:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call up your local police department and ask. They should know.
Actually they probably wouldn't know. Best place to go is where they do state Motor Vehicle Inspections. ( and they might not know either ).

EDIT: but they should have access to the information.

Last edited by davidwm71; 05-24-2009 at 11:00 AM.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BUT it's like any other job... there are some people who know their job and many who don't. I have MANY friends who are police officers in quite a few different states. Many of them know the basic vehiclular laws ( stop at a red light, don't travel faster than the posted speed limit etc. I don't know any of them that know all the vehicle codes for lighting and height restrictions etc.

My one friend wanted to borrow my trailer and I told him it wasn't registered and I had no plate. His response was "trailers need a license plate"?

I know they have access to the info but will they want to take the time to find out for you? My experience says no but if you get the right person you may get the right answer.

ALSO... From your post it sounds as though you are an officer and obviously a fellow "jeeper". Why don't you give him the answer to his question? It may save him alot of time dealling with officers who don't care or have time to deal with him.

I don't know if it's a federal law for lighting but in Jersey you do need to see the lights from the side. I've seen people mount round LEDs in the side of the tub to compensate for the loss of the side light on the taillight. I got this info from a MV book used at the state DMV. I just checked the book AND it is a federal motor carrier safety regulation pocket book so it may be different for non commercial vehicles.

Last edited by davidwm71; 05-24-2009 at 10:59 AM.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm not 100% certain on the entire regulation but NYS requires a side marker light on the front and rear of passenger vehicles. I would take that to mean that if you put in flush mount tail lights that you would have to put a marker light on the rear quarter pannel that could be seen from the side of the vehicle.

I stand corrected just checked the inspection reg.s. scrtoll down to light and it just states
All lighting must be of an approved type and inspected for operation, proper mounting, and broken or missing lenses. Side marker lamps, parking lamps, and additional flashing turning lamps mounted on the side of the vehicle are not inspected.

•Headlights (low and high beam)
•Tail lamps
•Stop lamps
•Directional signals
•Backup lights (1969 and newer)
•License plate lights
•Hazard warning/four-way flasher (1966 and newer)
•Directional signal indicator

//www.nydmv.state.ny.us/broch/c-50.htm

Last edited by insanitize; 05-26-2009 at 06:39 AM.

Quick Reply: led tail light laws