Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Led lights

Old 09-16-2013, 07:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it's being overcomplicated - It's just LED strips. Here is a good thread on how to install some interior LED's https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...pgrade-276113/ and your strips would be the same. This tutorial taps into the dome light wire so the LED's would turn on when you open the doors or turn on the dome light. If you're looking for ambient lighting, hook it into a power source that is constant (so you can run them when you're driving if you like, without the overhead domes on) such as your cigarette lighter or mirror adjuster as mentioned above.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:54 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by lkinmond
I think it's being overcomplicated - It's just LED strips. Here is a good thread on how to install some interior LED's https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...pgrade-276113/ and your strips would be the same. This tutorial taps into the dome light wire so the LED's would turn on when you open the doors or turn on the dome light. If you're looking for ambient lighting, hook it into a power source that is constant (so you can run them when you're driving if you like, without the overhead domes on) such as your cigarette lighter or mirror adjuster as mentioned above.
agreed. For which the OP wants to only connect a small strip of LEDs, there's no real concern with tapping an existing lighting circuit or 12v source. But in the instance of wiring an LED bar as such for aux lighting, you should definitely consider using a relay vs wiring the bar directly to the battery.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:40 AM
JK Newbie

Wow a lot of good advise I'm off today so I'm about to do the inside of the jeep connected to dome light .,,

Ill ask this than since I got good help from my fellow jeepers when I'm about to do the rock lights what's a good glue ,sticky icky or something that works that keeps them glued or stay up there since I can't drill into them any advice
Old 09-17-2013, 08:51 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jabarnett
Wow a lot of good advise I'm off today so I'm about to do the inside of the jeep connected to dome light .,,

Ill ask this than since I got good help from my fellow jeepers when I'm about to do the rock lights what's a good glue ,sticky icky or something that works that keeps them glued or stay up there since I can't drill into them any advice
Id probably use a 2 part epoxy for plastics (if that's the surface your mounting to?)
Old 09-17-2013, 09:15 AM
JK Newbie

For metal also ,, the leds are in a think plastic coating

Quick Reply: Led lights