Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Leaking water

Old 01-11-2022, 09:30 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking water

Why is there water leaking onto my back floor mats when it rains, I can’t find the source of the leak?
Old 01-12-2022, 04:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts

I’m not sure if the ‘Jeep that doesn’t leak’ has ever been built - certainly not the 7 I have owned ....

I remember writing something about tracing a water leak on another thread - ‘not sure if it was similar to this.

Regardless, the water is likely making it’s way in somewhere around the door (do you have a 2 or 4 door?) and running along the door’s weather stripping down to the bottom, then dripping onto the floor.

I would:

1. Pull back the carpet, dry the floor thoroughly - then sprinkle some of the wife’s talcum powder over the floor. The water will leave a trail in the powder and at least give you a sense of what direction the water is coming from.

2. Feel around the closest door’s weather stripping and also around the bottom interior lip of the door jamb.

My money is on a door leak - although I have seen the panels of a freedom top leak and drip down also ....

My two cents ...

Neville

Last edited by Creepy Neville; 01-12-2022 at 08:51 AM.
Old 01-12-2022, 06:13 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,695 Posts

If it helps, here is old leak PDF on my google drive -

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7h...ay_5J8LPrrXpRQ

I typically troubleshoot by being inside and observing while someone hoses down the outside, but that powder idea is really good too. It's likely just a mucket, door gasket, or top gasket that needs replaced.
The following users liked this post:
OGBeck5 (01-12-2022)

Quick Reply: Leaking water