Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Largest tires on stock suspension?

Old 12-22-2009, 03:44 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Largest tires on stock suspension?

Hey guys,
After buying my new 2010 unlimited sahara for my pop, I was considering finding a subaru baja turbo for myself, but am now considering picking up another jk instead.

I've fallen in love w/ the lower forty concept...

I'd like to know what the biggest wheels i can put on an unlimited.

I know the lower forty was built off of a 2 door base, but I like the unlimiteds...
what all would i need to do to get 40s on an unlimited without altering the suspension?

not overly practical, but its what im going after. thanks.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

You'd have to remove the stock fenders to start. There was a good article in JP magazine a couple months ago. It detailed what was done to get 40's on the JK.
Good Luck!
Old 12-22-2009, 03:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

I dont think you can go bigger then 33's on a stocker.... If you where to go 40's there is so much more then just suspension. your putting stress on everything.. If its an X the Dana 30 up front wont last to long and I dont think the Dana 44 will eather. But you can do it with alot of time and $$.. Good luck .
Old 12-22-2009, 04:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

modify and raise the fenders as high as possible, then saws all the body until they fit is how mopar got them to fit on a rubicon.
Old 12-22-2009, 04:38 PM
JK Junkie

Some JK owners put 35" tires on a stock suspension (with wheel spacers)

But you can't wheel (only for daily driving)
Old 12-22-2009, 05:51 PM
JK Newbie

hmmm

the lower forty had a 44 in the front and a 60 in the back right?
if you could dig up that link, thatd be great.
thanks...

how would putting 40s on, assuming i did all of the custom and fab work, affect teh gas mileage?

i'll likely end up putting something like this on the drawing board for a while... but when i do it, it'll be done right w/ a hemi. but it would be sweet to have a jeep like that for daily driving....
Old 12-22-2009, 07:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

your mpg would suck..... you would have to reger to some thing like 5.88 or something to beadle to keep up with traffic.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:04 PM
JK Junkie

It would be really slow and the mpg's would most likely be in the single digits. Bigger engine and regear would def help. I'd say most likely 35's with spacers for daily driving with no intention of wheeling or 33's.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:44 PM
JK Super Freak

33's are the largest i would go without a lift. Unless the tire was 10.5 wide, you will probably want some spacers, too.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:29 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On a 4dr there are ~30" clearance lengthwise on the rear and ~37" on the front. The two door can't be too much different, but not too worry because the wheel well is plastic so it can easily be pushed out of the way by the repeated impact of a ~150 Lb Baja Clawsl.

If you look at the pictures of the Lower Forty you will notice that the fenders are riding at the highest level of the hood and the rear body panel and they almost flat and nonexistant (a decoration of sorts). As Brian08JK points out, a sawsall can readily trim any excess Jeep that interferes.

I saw the Lower Forty up close recently at car show recently and Jeep did some major body mods to create this concept JK.

Anything is possible if you have the funds, but unless you own EVO, ScreaminLizard or Monster Garage, with the amount of effort it would take to replicate the Lower Forty, you might as well design your own ultra-modified JK and put your own badge on it.

You realize the Lower Forty is bit more of a crawler, not a flyer like the Baja Turbo?

On the bright side, the front bumper is simple to replicate.

BTW, nice touch to buy your father a JK.

Quick Reply: Largest tires on stock suspension?