Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

L front caliper won’t release on my 2017 JK

Old 11-11-2022, 05:54 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default L front caliper won’t release on my 2017 JK

Had to brake hard to avoid a deer….next day drove ~ 15 mi….when I got home left front smoking…wheel was hot!…Took the tire off, removed the caliper…slides are fine, pushed caliper in, it went in easy enough…..plenty of brake fluid in the resovoir…..how can I determine if caliper is ok, and associated brake line?…haven’t driven it yet after looking at it!
can braking hard have caused that problem?
Old 11-11-2022, 10:30 AM
Former Member

Received 142 Likes on 140 Posts

Braking hard can cause an issue. It can drive the pistons out past a mark in the caliper which results in difficulty of the piston returning. It may be Ok now but clearly it was stuck. There is a tool you can use to check if the rotor is warped or not. You will also feel it when you stop as a pulsing.
Old 11-13-2022, 08:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Change the rubber brake hose going to the caliper. The inner lining is most likely broken down, and has created a flap that acts like a check valve keeping pressure on the pads.

Quick Reply: L front caliper won’t release on my 2017 JK