Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Knocking Noise driving me crazy

Old 05-26-2009, 11:40 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hellbound13
You don't even need to puncture the boot. Get a very thin needle and slide it under the existing clamp.
My needle wouldn't fit, it was too tight. So I stabbed it.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

started a thread maybe if enough people chime in someone will think about making one ?? https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/steering-shaft-vendors-tune-too-87619/
Old 05-26-2009, 12:01 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

borgeson had sent me a prototype but when I tried it the clinking came back after awhile, they said that's how they design all the shafts and they could do nothing further, I have replaced a lot of suspension parts since maybe I should give it another whirl. I can post pics of it if you like.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:48 PM
JK Freak

You have a Gremlin so get an exorsist.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:12 PM
JK Jedi

I was thinking maybe a voodoo shaman.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:30 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the puncture/grease technique today, and it is amazing. I had mentioned the steering noise/clunk on a couple of service visits, and the dealership told me "When people buy a jeep, they don't realize it's going to make noises".

After my lift, the clunk had gotten worse, so I stabbed the boot (gently) at the top, and sprayed a whole lot. I put a drop of RTV on the top, and took it for a drive. My noise is gone. I guess Jeep's do make noises, but shoddy manufacturing seems to be the cause. Why design a joint, and put so little lubrication in it, to the point that it causes mental anguish? (that might be stretching)

Thanks for the advice. Very happy now, and if I want more grease, I'll just peel off the little bit of RTV and spray again.

Quick Reply: Knocking Noise driving me crazy