Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

KM2 VS Kevlar

Old 07-04-2010, 03:52 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default KM2 VS Kevlar

And another
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	75242  
Old 07-04-2010, 03:53 AM
JK Freak

Default KM2 VS Kevlar

And another.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	75243  
Old 07-04-2010, 04:42 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMHO, As usual it depends on what you will be doing. My wife has 35 KM2'a They work good in the road, in Moab, and on many CO trails. They struggle in clay, mud smooth rock. So far they are robust--I like them, my wife likes tem--doesn't think they are too noisy.

I used to have MTR/Kevlar's I don't like them. We split the side walls on 8 tires before I learned. Granted some of the splits were tiny, some caused the tires to be replaced. They worked great in Moab. To be fair, they did well on rocks, street, mud, etc. But on rocky trails, trails where there is no choice but to drive on the side wall, or in particular where there are sharp rocks like quartz sticking out ---which is fairly common around here, they don't do so well. Now my rig is heavy and I run aired down. No spinning of tires or anything. Just crawling. Just not robust for how I and my wife used them.

The guys I run into who did more rock crawling in CO tend to use IROK's. I do too, now.

As I said, depends. All of these are good tires---IMHO
Old 07-04-2010, 05:28 AM
JK Super Freak

left hand
How long ago did you have the MTRs?
Old 07-04-2010, 05:46 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by DirtyKK
the tire is mounted on the rim with the outside facing outside... no matter which corner of the vehicle you put it on the outside is still gonna be facing the outside of the rim.

theyre not directional, they just have an asymmetrical tread pattern.
i hate tires like this, it never looks right on the vehicle. i dont understand how a company can design a tire and expect it to work properly flipped around backwards? but then again, i do not own a tire company. And i would also go against my hatred of asymmetrical treads for a set of kevlar MTR's
Old 07-04-2010, 06:36 AM
JK Super Freak

No major complaints on my KM2 as far as offroad performance goes - I haven't gotten stuck yet and they are good in mud, rocks, etc. as well as nice on the highway.

However, I have destroyed a sidewall (2" gash) on one and almost thought I did in a 2nd when it got a "bubble" on the side. However, once it was aired back up the bubble disappeared...

Never owned MTR but also only ever heard good things.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

I love my 33" KM2s. They seem to be wearing really well. I am up to 17,000 miles and they are still looking really good.

What are the average life expectancies with both of these tires on a daily driver?
Old 07-04-2010, 11:35 AM
JK Super Freak

I too am running the KM2's. They are nice and squishy when aired down and have great highway manners. I think all tires are prone to cutting a sidewall. Just depends on wether or not you air down and on your driving style. Oh and a whole lot of luck.
Old 07-04-2010, 03:36 PM
JK Freak

I made a few phone calls, and strangely, the Wrangler's are cheaper than the km2's in USA, but in Canada, the Wrangler's are more expensive than the km2's
Old 07-05-2010, 03:22 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by myklt8
left hand
How long ago did you have the MTRs?
Summer of 2008 until about end of 2009.

Quick Reply: KM2 VS Kevlar