Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Kids perceptions of Jeeps vs Hummers

Old 04-22-2009, 03:16 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone. My kids seem pretty sharp, I am sure they will get it eventually if we just work on it. I'll use some of your ideas to help them identify Jeeps from the others. And then we will work on distinguishing YJ's from TJ's, etc.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 4 yr old definitely knows the difference, ask him where Hummers go and he will tell you "To the mall", ask him where Jeeps go and he says "any where they want to"
Old 04-22-2009, 04:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PAHUNTER21
my son, who is 3, going on 4 in May, knows the difference between a CJ5 (rounded door by wheel well), CJ7 (Square door), YJ (square headlights), TJ (round headlights but turnsignals on fender), and JK (round headlights, turn signals below, and "weird" door handles),

WOW! What a smart child! I am very impressed I thought our little guy was smart because he can point out China, Italy and Greenland on a globe at 4 yrs...

Jeepin Dad, you need to work with him on his Jeep statistics right away... He knows the diff between a Jeep and a Hummer but I heard him say "there is a Jeep Grand Liberty" last weekend when we were out driving...
Old 04-22-2009, 04:33 AM
JK Freak

Of course negative re-inforcement is also an option!

...yes, I'm kidding!
Old 04-22-2009, 05:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

i dont have kids yet but i have four wonderful neices, two of which used to call me Corvette a " COOOOL CAR" and when i got my jeep and modified it they called it a "VERY COOL CAR".

ya i know, poor kitten, so i explained to them that its not a car and that its a jeep now its known as the "BIG BLACK JEEP" or "BIG BLACK" hey im happy as long as they dont call it a CAR.

Dude dont worry kids will eventually understand the Difference
Old 04-22-2009, 05:55 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what do you say to a few 10 to 12 year old nephews that always comment "but we all know that hummers are just the best for offroading, yea your jeep is very cool" I know they don't know anything about it, they just think they do, and they are kids, still bothers me a lot it doesn't matter how many times I explain things to them, in their upper class neighborhood and school hummers rule!!! they see a jeep they think you didn't have enough money to buy the other. I'm sure they'll grow up some day.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Mk-Dubai

Dude dont worry kids will eventually understand the Difference
Yep, they sure will, the adults on the other hand...

I have for a long time, pointed out Jeeps to my kids and they are starting to get it and can point it out. In their younger years, they would point out anything with a spare back tire as a Jeep, the older two understand that now, but the younger one, she is still learning. Once I get the Jeep, not a Jeep thing, then we will go to models. I started a little of that this weekend.

Adults as I mentioned earlier, are the ones that will never learn. My mom, came up to visit, she said "It looks like a Hummer"...I was , then , I explained, she understood, she owned a Jeep Grand Cherokee but rolled it 3 times, she drives a Caddy currently. She understands.

My MIL said something similar, I just kept my mouth shut.

My SIL saw pictures of it, and said it the same thing. I'm less tolerant of other people so I gave her a history lesson going back to 1941, AM General, the military H1, the splitting of Jeep to Chrysler, the selling of rights to use the Hummer name to GM for the H2 and H3, the lawsuit over the 7 slot grill by Chrysler to GM, but losing due to the related roots of AM General and summarized that so in fact, the Hummer is trying to look like a Jeep, because Jeep came first.

She replied with wow, thank you for the history lesson! I haven't talked with her sense and I am planning to tell her this comparison. Her husband, my brother is a big time Harley guy, I'm going to tell her, saying my Jeep looks like a Hummer is like saying his Harley's look like those Honda's...see what kinda reaction you get.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:07 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's some Jeep coloring pages for your kids.
http://www.teraflex.biz/lil-jeepers/...ng-book-pages/
Old 04-22-2009, 07:52 AM
JK Freak

You ask an important question. And for those of us with small children this is a huge developmental issue. My youngest, which is 5, plays "Jeep" most days. If we are not together she reminds me how many Jeep's she counted and checks my count. Much like "Beetle", you get a point for each Jeep you call out. And it is important to indicate if it is a JK, 2 door or 4 door, if it is highly modified, etc. But, if you make a mistake, well, you loose a point. So far, she's pretty good at this important learning game. Sure, once in a while in her angst to beat me (and she very often does) she will pull the trigger to quickly and call a hummmer a Jeep. She's still young. But, we have no tolerance for silly mistakes with H2 or H3s. One time she saw an old Toy Land Cruiser and I took it easy on her. We used it as a teaching moment. When she questions me on an old school H1 I say positive things but still reinforce the importance of better identification skills. I also put on the windshield wipers and spray the fluid to mimic the Jeep crying over hearing such blasphemy. However, I think if she made a mistake on a FJ or other "typical" SUVs, we would have to take stronger corrective action. Under no circumstances do we tolerate comments such as, "It's a kind of Jeep." Sadly, that could require Corporal punishment.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:49 AM
JK Freak

you explain to them that the hummer is inferior and incapable in every way

Quick Reply: Kids perceptions of Jeeps vs Hummers