Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Kids perceptions of Jeeps vs Hummers

Old 04-21-2009, 04:19 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kids perceptions of Jeeps vs Hummers

So I was taking the kids for a walk this evening, and an H2 crosses our path. My 6yo daughter says, "Look Daddy, there is a Jeep!" I immediately correct her by saying, "That is not a Jeep, that is a Hummer." She follows with, "Well, it is a kind of Jeep." I just can't get her to understand the concept.

I guess we have come a long way. Right after we got the Jeep, the kids would say, "Look, there is a Jeep!" whenever they saw something with a spare tire on the back. Now, just the Hummers linger...

I am stuck here, how do you explain this to kids? Any suggestions?
Old 04-21-2009, 04:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

if it's got shiny metal parts it's (Likely) not a jeep. we ditched factory chrome a long time ago. thats the easiest method for a kid I could think of.

I would say if the rear is painted and solid, but with some of the painted hardtops out their that could be confusing.

got it, hopefully this will work as most toddlers understand the concept of shapes.

its the head lights. they both have circular ones, but hummers are mounted in squared recesses where as jeeps are obviously mounted in circular ones (unless you've got a cj or prior, in which case the head lights and recesses are both square, but keep with me, this will work).

this is how you explain it to them, you best out one of those toys you have if you've still gotta real young one or you hold on to your toys in case your planning for a new one. you show them how the circle fits into a circle hole, and a square into the square hole. then you explain to them that only a "dumby" or someone who is not smart, or whatever vocabulary you're using would try to fit the circle into the square.

now, not only have you established jeep as making sense and being smart, but also the hummer as the enemy, \m/(o.0)\m/

Last edited by RiSK; 04-21-2009 at 04:27 PM.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:14 PM
JK Newbie

This is easy enough....every time they correctly idenify a real Jeep, give them candy (I hope my wife never reads this)

But seriously, I was called in as back up last week when my nephew told my sons that his father's "Jeep" (an FJ Cruiser) was "stronger" than ours so I know how you feel. I didn't hesitate one instant to tell him that his father didn't have a "Jeep" but rather a Toyota. He of course just looked at me in a very perplexed fashion but it made me (and I hope my sons) feel better anyway !!!

Maybe you should concentrate on the top, if it's a 4x4 and you can't drive around topless, chances are it ain't a Jeep. Otherwise, wait a few years to explain them the difference and knowing kids, they'll be very proud to point it out to their friends.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My daughter is 4 in Oct and she knows a Jeep when she sees one. She knows FJ's are not Jeep and definitely Hummers are not Jeep. We play a game when we are driving trying to spot Jeeps first. She is the coolest 3 1/2 yo I know for sure..............:t humbsup:
Old 04-21-2009, 07:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Headlights

Originally Posted by RiSK

its the head lights. they both have circular ones, but hummers are mounted in squared recesses where as jeeps are obviously mounted in circular ones (unless you've got a cj or prior, in which case the head lights and recesses are both square, but keep with me, this will work).
While the headlight reference is a good one, CJ's all had round headlights that were in round bezels. The first Wrangler (1987ish?) had square headlights, and to original Jeep purists, was blasphemy.

But for the difference, the Hummer is big and square, the Jeep is more rounded!
Old 04-21-2009, 08:11 PM
JK Super Freak

i dont have kids but when i do this will be one of the first lessons in their life somewhere before the birds and the bees talk
Old 04-21-2009, 08:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you think about it they both have the same basic shape, a box with a square tumor with an engine in it and 4 round things at the bottom.

My kids will know how to change my jeeps oil in their sleep. At least they'll fit under it, I'm too tall.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by VAMP1RE
If you think about it they both have the same basic shape, a box with a square tumor with an engine in it and 4 round things at the bottom.

My kids will know how to change my jeeps oil in their sleep. At least they'll fit under it, I'm too tall.
Either you mean they can stand up under it, or... Your jeep is way too low to the ground.

But to touch on the subject at hand, my son, who is 3, going on 4 in May, knows the difference between a CJ5 (rounded door by wheel well), CJ7 (Square door), YJ (square headlights), TJ (round headlights but turnsignals on fender), and JK (round headlights, turn signals below, and "weird" door handles), and knows the difference with FJs (we call them YOTAS) and Hummers (He calls them Humms). But in all fairness, whenever it's extremely modified it turns into a Monster Truck JK or a Monster Truck Humms or a Monster truck CJ7....

You would think if i could teach him the difference between the models that he wouldn't classify everything as a monster truck. Oh well. I will take what I can get.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:22 PM
JK Junkie

If wives gave more hummers to the husbands then there would be less worries about this
Old 04-21-2009, 10:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by falconfixer333
If wives gave more hummers to the husbands then there would be less worries about this
LOL! I smell what you're cookin'!

Quick Reply: Kids perceptions of Jeeps vs Hummers