Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

keeping the dogs in back

Old 02-02-2009, 05:54 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i don't know how big your dog is but i have a siberian husky and black lab and i fold the back seat up and it blocks them from coming forward
Old 02-02-2009, 06:09 PM
JK Newbie

Default Bungie Cord solution

If you place a bungie cord between the two tiedowns then run the leash handle through the bungie cord it keeps the dogs in the back and gives them room to roam.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you check out my gallery, I used elastic ATV cargo netting...the type they use to keep stuff on their trays. Anyway, I didn't use it to make a barrier in the back but it shouldn't be too tough to figure out. The netting may not be as stiff as Raingler or nylon netting but I think it would keep them from being ejected. good luck and tell us which way you go.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:35 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by woffles
I don't know if it will work in a 4 door but I use a stretch cargo net hooked to the back of my seats in my 2 door. It's one of those that has plastic hooks on the edges. It's something like 30x40 inches square. Got it at Pep Boys. I've seen one on the net somewhere but it was over $100. Sometimes my dog will stick his head through but his body doesn't fit through the square holes. If I have to I can hook one of the hooks on the roll bar in the middle so he can't come over it.

YEs it works in a 4 dr. That's what I do exactly.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by redsfan
wish I had that challenge...we lost both of our dogs in the last 4 months
Sry to hear that. :(
Old 02-03-2009, 08:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am working on the training. My older dog does fine and stays. I saw the raingler nets and they seemed on the expensive side but from all I have read they are well built and worth the money. I guess we will work on training him to stay in the back and save some money to spend on other jeep upgrades.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:16 AM
JK Freak

They are not worth the money!!!.....I have the raingler netting, my german shepherds are terrible in the jeep....they try to squeeze past the netting pretty often...they can both squeeze past the sides of the netting at will...one's a 100lbs and the other is around 70....

the best route would be lots of training....which I cant figure out....how the hell do you train them to stay calm and in the back while your driving??????
Old 02-03-2009, 08:27 AM
Former Member

Originally Posted by woffles
I don't know if it will work in a 4 door but I use a stretch cargo net hooked to the back of my seats in my 2 door. It's one of those that has plastic hooks on the edges. It's something like 30x40 inches square. Got it at Pep Boys. I've seen one on the net somewhere but it was over $100. Sometimes my dog will stick his head through but his body doesn't fit through the square holes. If I have to I can hook one of the hooks on the roll bar in the middle so he can't come over it.

Is that a German Shorthaired Pointer is see looking at me ?Or a retriever?
Old 02-03-2009, 12:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

All I would have to do is roll down one of the back windows and that would be the one he has his nose sticking out of.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

When I don't have a top on I secure their leash through the tiedowns for baby seats in the back. I run the leash through the middle on then to the side and the back to the middle where I have a caribeaner (sp?) and I secure the loop in the leash to that. That gives the dogs enough leash to go side to side and to the back but they are not in jeopardy of leaping out.

Quick Reply: keeping the dogs in back