Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Just sent Jeep a love letter...

Old 12-14-2011, 10:04 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For what its worth, here's my thoughts...

-I do believe there is a possibility for loose/out of spec bolts from the factory. Regulated and controlled computers have a margin for error as well. Me and almost everyone in my family/group of friends is in the automotive biz. From plant managers to IT directors to people at dealers, I don't have any DIRECT proof that its possible, but inconsistancies are known to happen.

-The center rear seat not having enough support or whatever, in my opinion, is not a legitimate gripe. No vehicle that I know of has a comfortable center rear seat.

-Someone else mentioned molded plastic that had a jagged edge, I think thats ridiculous as well from a complaint standpoint.

Guys, like anything else its a mass produced vehicle. Chrysler builds them for profit. Period. When that profit ceases, so will the vehicle....I think they put as much R&D and quality control as they can to produce a fairly consistant product and still create profit.

On another side, mine (with 85K on it) has never had anything wrong at all. Oil changes and basic maintence, thats it....But then again this is coming from the guy who's shifter still bangs out of first gear but he doesen't care, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:09 AM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default my 2011 did have loose bumperbolts only half screwd in though!

i think most are only having fun with the post however , im sure the rigid jeep jk fans that jeep can do no wrong are those who buy used so they get somthing cheap and expect things to be loose they dont realy much care cuz theyre gona break it anyway when they hit the rocks and replace with aftermarket ! its a small majority that buy there jeeps for dd and expect high quality i guess! i wasnt happy top see loose bumper bolts when i pulled into my drive way 1st day i heard rattle and went in search of ! thats when i found loose 3/4 bolts only in half way ! but as i said before chrysler dosent cator to complainers !
they want repeted beat the snot out of it then trade it customers
thats why all trade in jeeps have as is on it , ! jeep has thier loyal
customers regardless of flaws ! its like harley
build it they will buy
no quality control yet people have to have one !
we still eat peanut butter even after they found salmonila in it and rats bugs and rodents ! did you stop ???? trade it in get a rubicon 2012 youl be happy i know i am mines tight this time ! and no noises like my 2011 had

Last edited by jeepmojo; 12-14-2011 at 10:14 AM.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

interesting responses.
I would love to believe bolts would not come out of the factory loose, but I would also say my past experience tells me that everthing isn't 100% full prove, so, can less then 1% of Jeeps make it out, I would say Yes... do dealership tenker with this stuff, I would say hell no..... at least they better not.

I personnally would have found a dealership that was a 5 star and have them look at all the issues so it would be on record.
Then check things in front of the service manager... if you felt it was needed.

if they have problems with this,, then continue up the ladder.

I am glad I have never had these issues......
as for some of the other stuff... I guess a 10 minute test drive should be more like a 60 minute test drive,,, so to speak.

Is the quality of a Jeep Poor,,, some parts of the design, absolutely,, overall, absolutely not.. if it was it wouldn't be a JEEP and do what JEEPs do best.....

even the best designed items will have Lemons,,, I work in the avonics defense world where we build avonics for military aircraft, the F16 for one... have we every had a lemon F16 display,,,,, of course we have.. BUT over all the F16 kicks ass... just like the JEEP.... (no I am not comparing the 2 side by side,,, that was just an example)

Good Luck. Hope you get things resolved.

JEEP ON
Old 12-14-2011, 10:19 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JK-jeepit
interesting responses.
I would love to believe bolts would not come out of the factory loose, but I would also say my past experience tells me that everthing isn't 100% full prove, so, can less then 1% of Jeeps make it out, I would say Yes... do dealership tenker with this stuff, I would say hell no..... at least they better not.

I personnally would have found a dealership that was a 5 star and have them look at all the issues so it would be on record.
Then check things in front of the service manager... if you felt it was needed.

if they have problems with this,, then continue up the ladder.

I am glad I have never had these issues......
as for some of the other stuff... I guess a 10 minute test drive should be more like a 60 minute test drive,,, so to speak.

Is the quality of a Jeep Poor,,, some parts of the design, absolutely,, overall, absolutely not.. if it was it wouldn't be a JEEP and do what JEEPs do best.....

even the best designed items will have Lemons,,, I work in the avonics defense world where we build avonics for military aircraft, the F16 for one... have we every had a lemon F16 display,,,,, of course we have.. BUT over all the F16 kicks ass... just like the JEEP.... (no I am not comparing the 2 side by side,,, that was just an example)

Good Luck. Hope you get things resolved.

JEEP ON
Oh my friend believe me, the dealerships will swap out your bumper/tops/interior trim or whatever in a HEARBEAT if it means making a sale. Even if they have to fix a dent that requires body filler (bondo) they have no legal resposiblity to report it to the buyer unless its over a certain dollar amount.

Lets say some customer walks into a dealer to test drive whatever model, and is willing to buy that exact vehicle if it didn't have some gouge lets say on the dashboard. The dealer's going to swap out the dash with another on their lot to make the sale. I know this for a FACT.

Then the other guy who buys the one with the swapped dash is wondering why he has all these rattles, the dealers techs cant figure it out, he gets frustrated and posts a thread here.

^^I agree with you, don't get me wrong.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by scotty6336
Oh my friend believe me, the dealerships will swap out your bumper/tops/interior trim or whatever in a HEARBEAT if it means making a sale. Even if they have to fix a dent that requires body filler (bondo) they have no legal resposiblity to report it to the buyer unless its over a certain dollar amount.

Lets say some customer walks into a dealer to test drive whatever model, and is willing to buy that exact vehicle if it didn't have some gouge lets say on the dashboard. The dealer's going to swap out the dash with another on their lot to make the sale. I know this for a FACT.

Then the other guy who buys the one with the swapped dash is wondering why he has all these rattles, the dealers techs cant figure it out, he gets frustrated and posts a thread here.

^^I agree with you, don't get me wrong.
That is very True.... most vehicles will not have this problem... again a very low percentage...
I guess what I meant is they just don't go in and tenker with a vehice to F--- with the product... like a earlier post madeit sound... or maybe it's the way I read the post..
Dealerships will do what it takes to make a Sell.... that is very true... and this can be a problem.
this complaint has many directions it can go...

JEEP ON

Old 12-14-2011, 10:33 AM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default yep

my 12 i ordered with dark screent tint windows in rear soft top
next day i note : big buckle in the window i went back showed the dealer they were like that ? im like yeh that i walked down the line of 2012 s 9 out of 12 had buckles in the rear window
they took it off the one that didnt have any cuz i wasnt gona settle with the buckle on a jeep i waited 7 weeks for the next guy wont be happy who got my old buckle in rear window , !
but mine dosent have a buckle in it now ! 30k it shouldnt have any flaws

top two photos show the buckle drivers side , ( lower pic is a flawless window !)
i was surprized to see all the jeeps with buckled dents in the window s
quality control ?????? why on 9 out of 12 bad and a few good ones ??
all i know is i waited 7 weeks and paid 300 extra for tinted windows not 300 for a dented tinted window that was gona bug me after shelling out 30 clams

Last edited by jeepmojo; 12-14-2011 at 10:45 AM.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 97jeeperdrummer
I don't agree with this statement... Chrysler just got caught again for having workers drinking and smoking on their work breaks... You really don't think that something like this could happen on an assembly line that moves a ton of vehicles? It is completely plausible and the OP was just stating his experience..

To the people who stated it was the service department.. do you think the technician really would risk his job and possibly face jail time for tampering with this guys vehicle because he got into it with a service manager? That is just plain crazy..

I haven't had a single issue with my 11, and my 08 only had the throw-out bearing issue.. so I think I have had pretty awesome luck with my JKs
That's the thing. We think of assembly plants as a bunch of guys running around with hand tools, torquing everything down. What it really is are pneumatic guns that have full calibration and diagnostic stations for each one. The operator has to run a bolt down until it's fully seated and hitting the right torque or his station goes red and a supervisor is notified. The monitoring equipment gets reset under supervision and the bolt is re-run to the correct torque. This is the case with all fasteners on the vehicle at every station of the process. You miss one bolt or one torque and you're flagged and the vehicle is held at that station.

Even the re-work loops in the plant that takes care of issues in the build have torque monitors and error proofing devices that catch these things.

When the vehicle leaves the assembly plant they're all set from that respect. Can there still be flash on plastics? Yes. Can certain surfaces be slightly blemished or unpainted? Possibly. Most of these issues involve either workers having greasy hands or supplier part defects. But missing a torque on a fastener? You're more likely to get hit by lightning before you get a missed fastener.

And yes, some union workers might have gotten outta hand and they got rightly fired for those actions, but none of them can override a torque monitoring machine.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:00 PM
JK Freak

PM me ur address, ill send u a box of tissues
Old 12-14-2011, 01:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 97jeeperdrummer
I had the dealer I bought my 11 from install the OR-FAB bumper from my 08.. hahahaha I go to pick it up and notice the two 10-12" bolts that secure the winch plate to the bumper are sitting on the technicians workbench.. I grab em, walk over to the guy and said, "so you didn't think these would be necessary to install?"

He just stared at me blankly, and I installed them myself later that day..
All the more I believe the OP's issues lie on the dealership side or some other third party. Dealerships, depending on which and under what circumstances, are indeed "guys running around with hand tools". Unless there is a specific diagnostic check on the work-instructions and unless there is enough time to service the vehicle, more than likely it's some dude putting fasteners back together 5 minutes before he leaves for the day. That may be more the problem than Chrysler's assembly plants. But of course, Chrysler being an entire company, takes responsibility for defects regardless of where in the supply chain it is, and tries to correct it as best they can. But dealerships are independent franchises and a lot of times they all do things slightly differently. Some are good, some are bad.

As a suggestion to the OP, bring your complain to the dealership. Don't be intimidated by the service manager. F**k him. It's your Jeep, stand up for it. Let him have it. If the dealership balks, contact Chrysler complaining about the dealership and let them beat up on them. That's the right approach.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:16 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Haters gonna hate

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2838614198.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	249955

Quick Reply: Just sent Jeep a love letter...