Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Just sent Jeep a love letter...

Old 12-14-2011, 04:05 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just sent Jeep a love letter...

I decided that I'm tired of the poor quality and I e-mailed Jeep Customer Service (again) about another issue.

There have been numerous design flaws and complaints about the JKU, but most of them are just an annoyance really. A back seat with zero structural support for the middle passenger, more noises than a haunted house at halloween, absolutely horrible throttle programming, HVAC vents too close to the steering wheel, etc. etc. I could go on all day.

But I also found LOOSE nuts and bolts in the undercarriage from the factory. And when I say loose, I mean I could remove them with my fingers. So far I've tightened my shocks, and my front sway bar which were very loose and flopping around. I also went through a few other bolts at the same time as I was putting my spacers in. But a lot of the things that were LOOSE were that way from the factory before I ever touched the Jeep. I also discovered that my oil pan drain plug was barely finger tight and it's a miracle it didn't fall out.

These things are clearly safety issues and are the types of things that could potentially get my family killed. The oil plug thing could have caused my engine to get wiped out. I'm pretty aggravated about it and I guess Jeep will be contacting me shortly to discuss this again.

Problem is, everytime this B.S. quality stuff comes up the first thing they want you to do is go to a dealership. Newsflash... people avoid dealerships for a reason! 3 days after buying my JKU I almost got into a fight with the service manager and I haven't been back to that dealership since.

Ugh.. The "85% American parts and labor" sticker on the window made me feel good about my purchase, and then I've felt bittersweet about it ever since then. It just sucks.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Wow what a super negative post. Thanks for starting my day out right. There's a lemon from every automaker. And there are lemon laws that protect for it. If you strongly feel that the loose fasteners are an issue, claim it as a lemon and be done with it.

Most of the stuff you mentioned are easily fixed with a ratchet or wrench. And just for the record, I have a 2011 too and have had ZERO issues. I love mine to pieces.

As for the other stuff like the HVAC being too close and the throttle response not being good.... holy crap, did you even test drive it before you bought it? How are you able to complain about that now?

If all else fails and you really hate your Jeep that much, sell it off. There are others who will buy it from you without complaint.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:55 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NebRedrocker
It gets so old hearing people bitch about their jeeps. If you all hate them so much get rid of them. My first jk was an 07 2dr rubi, then after the lease was up I bought an 09 2dr X. My wife liked driving it so much we traded in her 07 grand cherokee in for a 2010 unlimited. First thing I did when I got home with all of these was crawl up under them and check things out. Not one loose nut or bolt was found. My wife is the type to complain about things if they are not to her liking and she is very verbal about it. It started back in 07, she got a new liberty which was the first year of the new body style. Test drive was great according to her and she thought she'd really like it so we bought it. We took off on about a 3hr roadtrip which turned into a roadtrip to hell. The ride was horrible, felt every crack and bump in the road. The seats offered no support and it seemed aweful noisy. She hated it and wanted her little vw jetta back. She hated that thing as well but it was better than the liberty. Well a couple months later we traded the liberty in for the 07 grand cherokee. It was a nice ride, atleast I thought. But after owning it for a couple years she was tired of it and was looking for something different and was in love with my 07 rubi. But we just weren't in a position financially to get another vehicle. We had gotten ourselves upside down financially when we got the grand. It makes it tough when you've purchased four new vehicles within 2 years. After some sacrificing we were finally able to trade her grand in for her 2010 jku. In the 12 years we have been together this is the ONLY vehicle she has not complained about. Only thing she does complain about is that the tires look wimpy

I think your luck could happen with any vehicle you purchase. It has nothing to do with its a jeep thing get over it. These are great rides for the majority of the people that have purchased them just seems all you hear about are the people that like to bitch. Good thing for you is that they hold their value really well and you'll be able to get a decent trade in for whatever you decide to buy next. I wish you luck

Amen. I would also like to add, that if you don't like wind noise and poor a/c vent placement go drive a YJ. They had no forward vents, alot more wind noise and even better, you got to sit on top of whomever was in the Jeep with you. A Wrangler is by definition an all terrain vehicle. It is by far the only vehicle made that can go anywhere. If you want luxury and a quiet ride buy a Chrysler, If you want Fun and Versatility buy a JEEP.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:11 AM
JK Super Freak

It is unfortunate that a good or bad experience after buying a new vehicle, not just Jeep, is dependent on things like a quality service floor or if the assembly line workers were attentive that day.

I am not real sympathetic about the things you describe as annoyances, since many of those are apparent before purchase, or just individual preference.

And where I purchase, sometimes even what brand, is determined by the reputation and my past experiences with a service floor ,or at least the knowledge where I will take it to get real work done if I purchase somewhere else.

But I would be pretty pissed if I paid tens of thousands of dollars and a bunch of the freakin bolts where loose on components.

I am hoping Fiat turns the quality control issues around.

However, since vehicles are still at least partially mass produced by humans there is no guarantee given modern complexity you will get a good one of any brand, at least until you get into the 100K+ plus range I would think.

Last edited by Yankee; 12-14-2011 at 06:20 AM.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Yankee
It is unfortunate that a good or bad experience after buying a new vehicle, not just Jeep, is dependent on things like a quality service floor or if the assembly line workers were attentive that day.

I am not real sympathetic about the things you describe as annoyances, since many of those are apparent before purchase, or just individual opinion.

And where I purchase, sometimes even what brand, is determined by the reputation and my past experiences with a service floor ,or at least the knowledge where I will take it to get real work done if I purchase somewhere else.

But I would be pretty pissed if I paid tens of thousands of dollars and a bunch of the freakin bolts where loose on components.

I am hoping Fiat turns the quality control issues around.
I honestly think the loose bolts thing is an exaggeration by the OP. There was torque monitors on the assembly line that won't even let you go to the next station unless you drove the correct number of bolts down, in the right order, and at the right torque.

I call BS on that claim.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WXman
I decided that I'm tired of the poor quality and I e-mailed Jeep Customer Service (again) about another issue.

There have been numerous design flaws and complaints about the JKU, but most of them are just an annoyance really. A back seat with zero structural support for the middle passenger, more noises than a haunted house at halloween, absolutely horrible throttle programming, HVAC vents too close to the steering wheel, etc. etc. I could go on all day.

But I also found LOOSE nuts and bolts in the undercarriage from the factory. And when I say loose, I mean I could remove them with my fingers. So far I've tightened my shocks, and my front sway bar which were very loose and flopping around. I also went through a few other bolts at the same time as I was putting my spacers in. But a lot of the things that were LOOSE were that way from the factory before I ever touched the Jeep. I also discovered that my oil pan drain plug was barely finger tight and it's a miracle it didn't fall out.

These things are clearly safety issues and are the types of things that could potentially get my family killed. The oil plug thing could have caused my engine to get wiped out. I'm pretty aggravated about it and I guess Jeep will be contacting me shortly to discuss this again.

Problem is, everytime this B.S. quality stuff comes up the first thing they want you to do is go to a dealership. Newsflash... people avoid dealerships for a reason! 3 days after buying my JKU I almost got into a fight with the service manager and I haven't been back to that dealership since.

Ugh.. The "85% American parts and labor" sticker on the window made me feel good about my purchase, and then I've felt bittersweet about it ever since then. It just sucks.
Dude who did u piss off ? F u really had all those problems u better watch ur back cause someone mite b out to get u. Didn't u notice the ac vents when u test drove the jk? Most of us buy a jeep well cause its a jeep an we love them.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:20 AM
JK Newbie

Totally agree on personal experience with brands, I will not buy another GM product for a very long time (never say never right).
Old 12-14-2011, 06:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You really sound like you just like to bitch. If you really dislike the design that much and are so afraid of your safety, stop crying about it, sell the Jeep, buy a Prius and move on with your life. Plus if you really think your Jeep poses a danger to your family, and you continue to put them in it... who is really to blame??

PS
The vents are adjustable.

Last edited by WhosUrBuddiee; 12-14-2011 at 06:27 AM.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have owned Hondas, Mitsubishi's, BMWs, Mercedes, Nissans, Infiniti's, Saturns and a Lexus. The Jeep has been by far the least problematic for me. I think you got an odd ball there. No reason to throw the whole company under the bus. A simple call to a district rep to voice your concerns would have been a start. As for the "design flaws" that you dont like, there are reasons dealers let you test drive and look at the car prior to buying. No one to blame but yourself for that .

We wont even go into the quality and saftey crap I had to deal with on the BMW .
Old 12-14-2011, 06:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ChryslerChris
I honestly think the loose bolts thing is an exaggeration by the OP. There was torque monitors on the assembly line that won't even let you go to the next station unless you drove the correct number of bolts down, in the right order, and at the right torque.

I call BS on that claim.
You may be right sir. I am always careful to try and trust unless I have evidence otherwise. You have just educated me on a process I was unaware of.

Was thinking about the A/C vent locations. I like them because in the winter I point them at the steering wheel where my hands are. As soon as I have heat they warm up the wheel and I can take off my gloves!

Quick Reply: Just sent Jeep a love letter...