Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Is it just me??

Old 05-08-2007, 02:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it just me??

Or are you guys also feeling weird driving above 70mph with the top down??
Everytime I drive faster than that, the Jeep doesn't feel as stable for some reason. Is this normal?? It's not that bad when I'm driving with the top up....
Old 05-08-2007, 02:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ClownBaby
Or are you guys also feeling weird driving above 70mph with the top down??
Everytime I drive faster than that, the Jeep doesn't feel as stable for some reason. Is this normal?? It's not that bad when I'm driving with the top up....
I found it to be normal. It's more a mental factor then anything. It's because you are feeling the 70mph winds, where as with the top up you only hear the 70mph winds.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:37 PM
JK Newbie

Same with me. Plus the JK isn;t overburdened with high end umphh. So anything over 75 must be straight downhill.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:02 PM
JK Freak

No problems here. I actually had no problems with my TJ (smaller than the Unlimited). Try it in the summer at 6am going down the freeway with the top down AND doors off!! You'll get use to it!! I love it!! Part of being a Jeep owner.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:15 PM
Foo
JK Enthusiast

You just need to be a motorcycle rider... Then it's won't bug you as much.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:46 PM
JK Super Freak

What feel funny at 70mph with top off? did not feel funny at all in fact I enjoied it. I liked it even better w/o doors. Now if it will just warm back up and drop the chance of rain to 0% I can do it agian.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hmm...maybe it's just the mental thing...not a big issue...I'll find out when I go to FL next week....should br driving w/ the top down all the way (980 miles).

Oh also, you don't need 0% to take the top down. My top's always down and it shows 20-30% here everyday. LOL
Old 05-08-2007, 07:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ClownBaby
Hmm...maybe it's just the mental thing...not a big issue...I'll find out when I go to FL next week....should br driving w/ the top down all the way (980 miles).

Oh also, you don't need 0% to take the top down. My top's always down and it shows 20-30% here everyday. LOL
At 20% we may be okay but at 30% it will rain. The funny thing is 40% is dry as a bone but above that break out the rubber boots because it's gonna rain hard.
All the weather quirks aside I just got done drying out the storage area and was thinking pulling carpet because of the time effort and all to get it to fully dry. My problem is the wife will not let me pull the carpet she said even if it gets wet agian it will most likely last longer in the jeep than stored around here somewhere. She also said if we leave it we will know where it is if we ever want it agian but if we remove it most likely we will never see it agian because things disapear around here.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:39 PM
JK Super Freak

I think it is probably psychological. I could do 90 in the Defender (which, wisely, LR had put a 90 mph governor on it) and I did bot notice any real handling differences. I would never drive that fast in a raised veh anymore.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've been driving jeeps for going on 20 some years, and I feel just as stable at 90 mph as I do 10 mph, even in my first 4 door jk. the shorter wheelbases such as my 53 cj3a do make you feel even a slight turn of the wheel on the hiway a lot more dramaticly.

Quick Reply: Is it just me??