Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Just left dealer...no deal! Low trade in

Old 08-15-2011, 04:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think KBB values are a little high, Autotrader.com is more realistic
Old 08-15-2011, 04:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Find some vehicles similar to your trade in being sold by dealers in your area (even better if they are being sold by the same dealer group). When they want to give you jack-squat for your trade, ask why they are selling em for so much more. I tried it when I traded in a camry once; it didn't take long for them to come back with a more realistic offer.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chango
Find some vehicles similar to your trade in being sold by dealers in your area (even better if they are being sold by the same dealer group). When they want to give you jack-squat for your trade, ask why they are selling em for so much more. I tried it when I traded in a camry once; it didn't take long for them to come back with a more realistic offer.

+1 as Chango says. find out what's in the local market within an hours drive, because that is as far as most people will drive to another dealer. compare against same make/model, miles, engine, trim package, options, etc. the less same vehicles in your area the better, especially if it's desirable vehicle. there is a shortage of used vehicles on the market these days. dealers are paying more today than they have in the past. research your trade-in the same as you will for your new one.

CarMax is notorious for buying basically everything that is worthwhile at the auctions these days. ive had dealers tell me the buyers from CarMax will willing pay more on everything at the auctions, so they can control the used sales in a market. the franchise dealers are having a tough time keeping used inventory in stock.

i took my WJ to CarMax a month ago so I could start preparing for what I will do. they offered $3500 for '02, V8, Selec-Trac, with only 96K. i've seen them listed at dealers for anywhere from $6000-9500. they guy tried playing the "it's a V8 and the big engines aren't selling now" crap on me. despite the gas price increases of late the last 2 months have seen a slow return to people buying BIG again.

every dealer whether they are a franchise or independent makes their money on used vehicles, service and parts. they make money on new sales, but the profit margin is all on the used side and service. they are going to buy as low as possible all the time, because it's in their best interest to. they will quote rough to average on almost everything. good luck getting them to take it as 'clean' and pay top dollar for it.

Last edited by Whiskeypete; 08-15-2011 at 06:15 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Sell on your own.

The only people who need to share the money and savings is you and the buyer. I sold an 07 Unlimited, modded some, but manual everything. It tool 2 weeks on Craigslist. 18000, good for me, good for the buyer.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Does Carmax deal with all markets? Didn't see an option for Boston/Mass?
Old 08-16-2011, 05:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

if you where buying a 2011 you'd do better and have more room to negotiate. 2012 rubicon's are to rare... if i was them i'd try to make as much money off of it too.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

KBB values are inflated. Take a look at NADA. That is what bank and insurance companies use when assessing the worth of a vehicle because it takes in to account what similar vehicles are actually selling for.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:35 AM
JK Newbie

I took my 2008 Sahara Unlimited in a while back when they were offering one of those 125% of KBB value for trade in and was only offered $22k. That's "Rough" trade in value on NADA and a grand below "Fair" on KBB.

I walked. Low ball offers like that plus the ever increasing price of a new JK has talked me out of spending $36k plus tax/license, when I don't really need to.

Try another dealer but chances are they are going to do the whole "2012's are coming and we expect a flood of older JKs" dance..
Old 08-16-2011, 11:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

22K is probably the absolute lowest I would take for my sahara(trade-in)...... I'm guessing they'll have it on the lot for about $25,800. Like I said it has every option available except dual top.Even has mopar chrome group options... I'm gonna sell it privately.

Last edited by RescueG911; 08-16-2011 at 02:33 PM.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Funny!..... 2 missed calls on my phone...guess who!?!

Quick Reply: Just left dealer...no deal! Low trade in