Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Just bought a JK Unlimited, what mods should i start with?

Old 03-26-2012, 07:50 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bedline your grill and hinges, trim down your flares, remove the stupid ugly ass plastic skid under your front bumper. Not only is it pointless, its ugly. Cosmetic stuff is endless, you can go on and on. There is stuff I did way back to my jeep that I can't even remember. Kinda past that stage now as I have bigger fish to fry, haha
Old 03-26-2012, 07:52 AM
JK Freak

Dont powder coat the rims , waste of money, just plasti dip it and you can always take it off plus it costs about $20 for 4 cans and you're good to go.

Also platic dip the grill.

Get wheels spacers ,

Chop the fenders.

For about $20 and some work at home your jeep will be a copmletely different beast.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:59 AM
JK Freak

This is what my old jeep looked like with about $200 spent on it... ( i got a good deal on the rims plus tires and sold the originals)

Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	295527Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	295528Click image for larger version

Name:	CSC_5953.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	295529
Old 03-26-2012, 09:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Is it paint? What if I mess up, can it be taken off? Also did you cut your fenders or are those aftermarket? Looks good man! Yeah I want to take the plastic skid off, and what's the best way to remove the sticker without damaging the paint? I flipped the rear view mirror upside down.. so far that's my first mod haha
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1149062707.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	295587   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-39579869.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	295588   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1051644975.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	295589   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-517438371.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	295590  
Old 03-26-2012, 09:35 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by RufusTheTank
Is it paint? What if I mess up, can it be taken off? Also did you cut your fenders or are those aftermarket? Looks good man! Yeah I want to take the plastic skid off, and what's the best way to remove the sticker without damaging the paint? I flipped the rear view mirror upside down.. so far that's my first mod haha
Its like a plastic coat, very east to take off if you dont like it or if you mess up. just let it dry and peel off
Old 03-26-2012, 09:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

First mod IMHO should always be either relocate or skid the evap canister. Whether you plan on wheeling or just driving, this should be done first....should have come from the factory with this done. After that, do whatever YOU want to do with it. You are the one that has to drive it and like it.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MarvinMWJT
First mod IMHO should always be either relocate or skid the evap canister. Whether you plan on wheeling or just driving, this should be done first....should have come from the factory with this done. After that, do whatever YOU want to do with it. You are the one that has to drive it and like it.
What is the best way to do this
that is not too time consuming or difficult..?
Relocate or just install a skid for the evap canister?
Old 03-26-2012, 10:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MotiCross

Its like a plastic coat, very east to take off if you dont like it or if you mess up. just let it dry and peel off
Yeah just looked at some videos online about the plasti dip, pretty cool stuff, will it hurt the paint on the grill if I do it there as well?
Old 03-26-2012, 10:33 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by RufusTheTank
Yeah just looked at some videos online about the plasti dip, pretty cool stuff, will it hurt the paint on the grill if I do it there as well?
All you need to do is take the grill off and and get the sprey plasti dip not the actual dip. if you take it off ,it won't hurt the paint what so ever, it actually protects it.

The other good thing is that you just need to wash your grill or wheels before applying.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MotiCross

All you need to do is take the grill off and and get the sprey plasti dip not the actual dip. if you take it off ,it won't hurt the paint what so ever, it actually protects it.

The other good thing is that you just need to wash your grill or wheels before applying.
Same spray dip for the wheels too? Wheels should come off right? Can I leave the tires on, just tape around them?

Quick Reply: Just bought a JK Unlimited, what mods should i start with?