Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

JKU hard top center fasteners

Old 01-20-2014, 07:02 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JKU hard top center fasteners

So this may be a dumb question, but are the center fasteners that screw through the sound bar necessary when running the hard top with the freedom panels on? I just got a spiderweb shade top and it's a pain getting all the holes to line up properly.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:16 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jordan_
So this may be a dumb question, but are the center fasteners that screw through the sound bar necessary when running the hard top with the freedom panels on? I just got a spiderweb shade top and it's a pain getting all the holes to line up properly.
They actually screw into the freedom panels to hold them in place, so, yes, my opinion is that they are necessary. You might experience rattling and leaking in rain if they are not screwed in place.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:23 PM
JK Freak

I have the spyder webshade and run my hardtop. I have no issues with the holes lining up. is your shade adjusted properly?
Old 01-20-2014, 07:27 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 951JEEP
I have the spyder webshade and run my hardtop. I have no issues with the holes lining up. is your shade adjusted properly?
It may not be adjusted right. I had to undo the spider balls on the front two hooks so the panels would clip behind the visors. (Sorry I don't know the technical terms)

I'm sure that's why the holes aren't lining up.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jordan_
I run it this way all the time (without the center things), never a leak, wind noise or anything. I thought those center things were for when you run the freedom panels on but the hardtop itself off. The center things are what holds the back ends of the freedom panels on when they don't clasp to the hardtop. I'm sure they don't hurt to keep them on; more attachment points. But I typically keep the hardtop on and take the freedom panels off and on a lot; the center thingys were slowing me down by a minute
Old 01-21-2014, 01:50 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

It was nearly seven years ago I removed them, and now I'm not even sure where my center things are. No problems noted because they aren't installed.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
It was nearly seven years ago I removed them, and now I'm not even sure where my center things are. No problems noted because they aren't installed.
I cannot find mine either. The only reason I looked for them is because in the winter, the cold panels tend to rattle some without the screws on rough roads until the interior heat warms them up.

Never had any leak problems without the screws, and they have not flown off at speed so far.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

When it's warmer out and I pull the panels of often, I don't use them either, never had an issue with leaks or anything
Old 01-21-2014, 07:28 PM
JK Newbie

Only install for the winter otherwise they are out, no leaks and no rattles

Quick Reply: JKU hard top center fasteners