Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

JK'ers with the infinity speakers & factory subwoofer....

Old 05-18-2010, 09:24 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default JK'ers with the infinity speakers & factory subwoofer....

What do you guys thnk about your factory subwoofer? Its in a plastic speacker cover, does its sound good?

Was it worth it to get the upgraded sound system? or should you have just added an after market sub down the road.

Im trying to figure out if I should upgrade to the infinity or stay with the statndard radio and add a sub/amp.

Let me know if you really think its worth it or if you regret it.

Thanks
-Eric.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds ok. I was curious so I took it out and looked it over. Not exactly anything to write home about. Im thinking of trying an aftermarket sub in the stock box, but havent decided on whether to run a separate amp for just the sub or try it on the stock output (which i need to find out what it is).

All in all, it sounds better than one without a sub, but pretty much any decent aftermarket setup would probably sound better.

Edit: Keep in mind my last setup was 2 10" Fosgate subs and a 500x2 amp...so you know...its not the same.

Last edited by JKMudder; 05-18-2010 at 10:03 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

I love mine. Very happy with the sound and the volume. I rented a JK in HI without the subwoofer and it was night and day.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:12 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default interesting...

I wonder if you could get a custom made wooden box thats identicle to the factory plastic enclosure so it would fit like stock.... I bet that would be better with an aftermarket sub too.

I had a guy build me one that was identicle to my factory Nissan Titan sub. It was awesome.

His company was called Tech12volts. I think he has a website. Some one should see if he could build one for JK's. He seems to be very popular on the nissan truck forums. I like the quality of his build.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:48 PM
JK Junkie

I am sure the premium system sounds allot better than one without the sub (mine has the sub with infinity speakers)......I dont mind my OEM sub, but I have had big bass high quality systems in other vehicles, and the Jeep OEM premium system doesnt compare......it all depends what you are looking for and your expectations...... I will upgrade my system one day, but it is not as important as it used to be for me, so I spend my cash elsewhere.....for now....lol

To be honest, I probably would just get a single 12 inch sub (or couple 10's) with a nice amp to power it all in one box that could be removed if need be.....IMO a single 12 with custom box in the OEM sub spot would be ideal.....doesnt take up too much space.....
Old 05-19-2010, 04:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a quality aftermarket system in my last car and I don't miss it nearly as much as I thought I would. The JK Infinity system has shockingly good imaging--largely due to the placement of the front speakers and tweeters. The sub is fine, too. Not as much fun as my 10" JL Audio sub, but fine.

Honestly, it's well worth the $395 upgrade. The best part is that you won't constantly be paranoid about your fancy aftermarket stereo getting stolen when you have the soft top on or the doors off.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

I test drove one with the infinity with sub and it didn't compare the the stock premium system in my mach1(Mach460) which has no subs.

I opted for more room, going to try to find some components that would allow more bass. Also, my look into a base tube or the infinity bass link type deal.

The stock jk radio was not as bad as the forums make it out to be though, you can get pretty good mids and highs from the stock speakers and you can hear it with the top off...
Old 05-19-2010, 06:43 AM
JK Freak

So far, I upgraded the soundbar speakers and the sub. I plan on replacing the front components as well. The Infinity sounds good but not great. I'm a big music person and I want really good sound.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

I built a custom box for 2 10" subs after I got my jeep. I'm running to 10" fosgates in it. I angled it to fit the rear seat and the subs fire straight down. I painted it with some oil based black paint and mixed in some sand for a rough texture. I actually have handles on the side and left my speaker wires really long so I can slide it all the way back, fold the seat down and slide it all the way forward, or totally remove it. I've only had to remove it once since I've had it. I've hauled lots of stuff with it and have gone on several trips. I can normally just put stuff on top of it and still have a good bit of storage behind it.

I also replaced the front and soundbar speakers with aftermarket 6.5s. It sounds much better now even though I still plan to put an amp on my front and soundbar to make it a little louder when I have doors and top off.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:24 PM
JK Freak

I have the upgraded system and the sub sounds good to me, but hell I drive with the top off as much as I can and like the sound of my Magnaflow Exhaust - hate when the radio drounds out the exhaust note.

Quick Reply: JK'ers with the infinity speakers & factory subwoofer....