Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Jk went up in flames last night....

Old 04-14-2008, 11:32 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeep-alicious
The idea of this happening is quite unnerving.

I wonder what is different about the 4 door and the 2 door that this hasn't happened on a 2 dr auto yet?
maybe just the added weight of the 4dr
Old 04-14-2008, 11:33 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by N2rock
What is up with this "ding", and why are these transmissions overheating?

Last summer I pulled a motorcycle trailer (combined weight of 1500lbs) and had my rear seat down and interior completely filled with stuff. Basically, I was heavy. Drove all day in 100f+ temps, and in some pretty hilly areas. And never had the "ding". Guess I was lucky- especially compared to these stories of people getting the ding during just a normal drive down the freeway.

So what is causing some of these to overheat and some not to?
umm you dont think anyone here actually has the answer to that do you?
Old 04-14-2008, 11:48 AM
JK Junkie

Last summer I pulled a motorcycle trailer (combined weight of 1500lbs) and had my rear seat down and interior completely filled with stuff. Basically, I was heavy. Drove all day in 100f+ temps, and in some pretty hilly areas. And never had the "ding". Guess I was lucky- especially compared to these stories of people getting the ding during just a normal drive down the freeway.

Some people reported hearing a DING from the jeep,( like one of those "Your headlights are still on" warning dings), before their Jeep had caught fire.

I'm wondering if all of the people had been playing in high water before this happens. Maybe it is due to water in the fluid, possibly entering from the dipstick, or some other place (Do Auto Trannys have breather tubes or anything of that nature???).
Old 04-14-2008, 11:49 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Man, this is terrible! Glad no one was hurt.

Here is the thread talking about the "ding"
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/ding-alarm-steep-grades-21561/
Old 04-14-2008, 12:11 PM
JK Freak

hmm anyone know about what temp the trans would boil over at? I think I am going to at least look to get a trans temp guage....I'm sure all the mud I[ve had in radiator and trans cooler/air cond doesnt help...and there really is no airflow down at the bottom part of the cooler....maybe jeep should have put the trans cooler part at the top of the cooler/air cond
Old 04-14-2008, 12:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brycer,
I'm glad to hear you made it out OK and no one was hurt. I'd be in the same boat, man. I'd be standing on the side of the road sobbing if I saw my Jeep go up in flames.

As Jeep-alicious said, I'm wondering why 2 doors don't seem to be doing this, but 4 doors are. Of course, my curiosity is selfish, as I have a 2 door auto, but it's still an interesting question. I pondered the weight thing, but it just seems that the 4 doors aren't lugging any more weight than a 2 door with a trailer would be.

I'll be curious to hear what caused it, if they can find a cause. I'll be especially interested to hear what Chrysler/Insurance does for you, Brycer.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:28 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by wayoflife
EDIT - just before Trail Bud started to smoke, he was saying that his engine was having a hard time making the climb... like it was dying. Also, he had the infamous 'ding' go off as well (i.e. tranny was overheating).
This is exactly what happened to me over in Trabuco Canyon. We stopped before smoke, but could smell the trans fluid. If I'm going to run anymore steep trails, then I need to see Mel and get some 5.13s to relieve the stress on the trans.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:02 PM
JK Freak

Great...

I heard the "ding" while driving to Memphis a couple weekends ago. I looked over at my wife and said, "Did you just hear that?"

No lights or anything on the dash and I remembered reading about the ding but couldn't recall what it meant.

Guess I need to get a transmission thermometer if something like that is possible.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:09 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Laughingstok
Great...

I heard the "ding" while driving to Memphis a couple weekends ago. I looked over at my wife and said, "Did you just hear that?"

No lights or anything on the dash and I remembered reading about the ding but couldn't recall what it meant.

Guess I need to get a transmission thermometer if something like that is possible.

If anything should happen... please please please save her and your digital camera!
Old 04-14-2008, 01:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

The more I think about it I have had the ding before but no lights or like I said before I had the red light in the center of the dash come on. I might have to call the x g/f and see if she remembers it.

Quick Reply: Jk went up in flames last night....