Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Jk went up in flames last night....

Old 04-14-2008, 09:45 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry for your loss Brycer. Glad you're OK.

I think both theories fit, transmission and fuel line. The sputtering definately sounds like it's fuel related, but could also be a transmission issue I guess.

I added a transmission cooler to mine when I bought my camper a few months back and I do carry a fire extinguisher, although it is unlikely that it would be enough if it was a fuel related fire. At least I have it if needed to get passengers and my dog out.

Best of luck to you, and I too hope that we can get to the bottom of this.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dog is pretty energetic so im guess she would move out pretty fast then again she gets scared kinda easy so If I lost her I would be pretty devistated.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:56 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the Automatics do have a trans cooler, a VERY Small one, its the bottom part of the black air cond in front of the radiators. Chrysler needs to know aobut this now and so should the Press. I just realized you are in Toledo Ohio, hmm the plant right down the road

I think you should tow your JK over to the Plant and park it right out front so Chrysler can go

I think maybe the Toledo Blade needs a New Jeep story, send them a email and some pictures and maybe link to this forum

they are always doing stories about Jeep http://www.toledoblade.com/
Old 04-14-2008, 10:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tkob1060
the Automatics do have a trans cooler, a VERY Small one, its the bottom part of the black air cond in front of the radiators. Chrysler needs to know aobut this now and so should the Press. I just realized you are in Toledo Ohio, hmm the plant right down the road

I think you should tow your JK over to the Plant and park it right out front so Chrysler can go

I think maybe the Toledo Blade needs a New Jeep story, send them a email and some pictures and maybe link to this forum

they are always doing stories about Jeep http://www.toledoblade.com/
I think that is in order. I dont want to burn any bridges lol or should I say park Wrangler unlimiteds on them, with DC yet I want them to take car of things then ill do it.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:12 AM
JK Freak

man Glad I got a 6 speed!
Old 04-14-2008, 10:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

HMMM.,..... I will let them buy my silence but are they going to be able to buy my fathers silence???? or the people I work with or this great forum? LOL
Old 04-14-2008, 10:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

I absolutely hate reading this but as a JK Owner, you owe it to yourself to do so. I am glad that nobody was seriouly injured.

These things are made by man are are subject to fail at any time. However a repetious failure of this product should never endanger your life or that of anyone else. This needs to be addressed by DC.

I really hope they make things "right" with you. Again, glad to hear everyone is okay.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about your misfortune but I'm glad everybody's OK. FWIW, I read this late last night and first thing this morning I went out and bought two extinguishers. They're in the Jeep (07 Unlimited with Auto) now. Good luck with your insurance company and Chrysler.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:09 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Man, I'm really sorry to hear about your loss but am really glad that you are okay. Your Jeep can be replaced but you can't.

Originally Posted by wayland1985
Most of the fires were passenger side I though. Isn't the transmission dipstick on the passenger side??? And then it radiates up towards the batter, etc...

I think WOL saw the transmission fluid boil over on the passenger side too. It's been a while since I looked at his post though
This is correct. The dipstick is located on the passenger side near the battery and when Trail Bud's fluid was boiling over, it had dribbled down the tube and onto the exhaust where it was smoldering enough that SDMF yelled out on the CB for him to stop and everyone jumped out with fire extinguishers. If a fire were to occur, the passenger side is where it would have started - at least, based on what I have seen.

EDIT - just before Trail Bud started to smoke, he was saying that his engine was having a hard time making the climb... like it was dying. Also, he had the infamous 'ding' go off as well (i.e. tranny was overheating).

Last edited by wayoflife; 04-14-2008 at 11:21 AM.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:24 AM
JK Newbie

The idea of this happening is quite unnerving.

I wonder what is different about the 4 door and the 2 door that this hasn't happened on a 2 dr auto yet?

Quick Reply: Jk went up in flames last night....