Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Jk went up in flames last night....

Old 04-14-2008, 08:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wayland1985
Wow... just the other day I brought up the fact that we had a good streak going without JK's burning. Sorry to hear about your loss, but it can be replaced.

You said earlier that you dropped the engine or something???

I'm sticking with WOL's theory on these. Automatic transmission overheating. Fluid boils out... hits the exhaust pipe... ignites into flames... and the show is over...
No I was saying I had a hemi engine drop out at one point in time that was going to go into it. Maybe I should have just done the swap.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:59 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by benmar2000
I agree.. But going down the road at 70mph shouldn't cause the transmission to overheat and boil the fluid out of the dipstick.. Like in the article I found, it could be like what had happened to the GC problem.. I know it is a different transmission, but the symptoms are about the same..
Oh, i'm not saying something's not wrong... I was just saying it seemed like the most logical explanation... I'll have to read that article though...
Old 04-14-2008, 09:00 AM
JK Junkie

Hmmmm... now the question is... All of those with the fires... did you wheel your jeep through water???
Old 04-14-2008, 09:08 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Brycer
Sorry for the quality they are cell phone pics tomorrow Im going to borrow a camera from a friend being that i lost mine and my laptop.

Where's the radiator? And why is there a tow bar off the front? I agree with WoL's theory in the case that a Trans overheats, but I don't think it really applies here... for one the passenger side was completely scorched, while the driver side (and exhaust side) still has some of the front plastic fender and the complete rear fender and paint.

A fuel line leak sounds very likely. Still would like to know what happened to the radiator and why there's a tow bar???
Old 04-14-2008, 09:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wayland1985
Hmmmm... now the question is... All of those with the fires... did you wheel your jeep through water???
Should water and debris be able to easily enter the tranny? If it could seep in, it should also be leaking out.

Maybe it could find its way in through the dipstick, if you went through high enough water to get there.

Or, is there water in there from the factory build process? I have no clue if it would evaporate or what.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dayton
Where's the radiator? And why is there a tow bar off the front? I agree with WoL's theory in the case that a Trans overheats, but I don't think it really applies here... for one the passenger side was completely scorched, while the driver side (and exhaust side) still has some of the front plastic fender and the complete rear fender and paint.

A fuel line leak sounds very likely. Still would like to know what happened to the radiator and why there's a tow bar???
Radiator is completely gone. What is this tow bar you speak of?
Old 04-14-2008, 09:19 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Dayton

Most of the fires were passenger side I though. Isn't the transmission dipstick on the passenger side??? And then it radiates up towards the batter, etc...

I think WOL saw the transmission fluid boil over on the passenger side too. It's been a while since I looked at his post though
Old 04-14-2008, 09:19 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Brycer
Radiator is completely gone. What is this tow bar you speak of?

Marked here. Is it from the flatbed that's picking up your JK?
Old 04-14-2008, 09:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Oh yeah its from the flatbed tow truck .... I was lost I was like whats a tow bar. The Radiator was completely melted I found chucks of it melted into molten.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Make sure you file with NHTSA...all 4x4's should have a transcooler.

Quick Reply: Jk went up in flames last night....