Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Jk went up in flames last night....

Old 04-14-2008, 05:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mbsliwa
Obviously a fire extinguisher is no longer considered a mod or add on but as MUST have.

Condolences Brycer, you did well to take care of what is important. The Jeep can be replaced, family can not.

Not to hijack the thread, but we just had a washing machine short out and start a fire in our basement. If there is anyone out there who still doesn't have one: GET A FIRE EXTINGUISHER!! Know how to use it and make sure your spouse does as well. Quick thinking and a calm head limited damage, but could have resulted in the entire house burning down. Also, we will not be doing laundry at night or when we're not home. I'm sure some of you will find this extreme, and I would have also before this event, but some things aren't worth the risk or piece of mind.

Hijack over, resume original content.

How true . To keep the calm head and quick thinking, my dad is a saftey freak and I used to think he was over the top after reading your post and a few incidents I have been in, I think it has made me a better person for certain situation. Glad to hear you damage is minimal.

If I get another jeep I will be getting a Fire supression system put in like what some race cars have lol.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Damn Brycer. Double damn. Real glad you're okay. It's great that you can laugh about it. I just hope DC isn't laughing about it. It's always funny until someone loses an eye.....or a life.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:49 AM
JK Junkie

Really sorry to see this Brycer, but glad that there were no injuries... I hope that ChryCo takes care of things quickly and without hassle for you.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why would this be an insurance claim and not a warranty claim? It's not like you drove through a fireball causing the Jeep to ignite - the Jeep experienced a mechanical failure which caused it to ignite.

I don't think I'd want to mess with trying to put out a fire with an extiguisher - It would probably be better to let it burn and not put yourself in harms way if it were already blazing.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah I am hoping the same I am still throwing the Idea around of getting another one but like i said I will get a fire supression system lol. To the post about me I feel the same way I went for a hood latch and a flame shot out I would be more worried that when opening the hood it would create a backdraft effect and then you have to worry about how your going to keep the hood open with out getting burned.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:03 AM
JK Newbie

Man... sorry to hear we lost another one. At least everyone is SAFE. As you said, it and your belongings are replaceable.

Gopod luck with the insurance and getting the replacement. I would mention the others that have gone up to your insurance and hopefully they can get something going against Chrysler.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Aolec
Man... sorry to hear we lost another one. At least everyone is SAFE. As you said, it and your belongings are replaceable.

Gopod luck with the insurance and getting the replacement. I would mention the others that have gone up to your insurance and hopefully they can get something going against Chrysler.
Already has been said SIR they are already talking about possibly going after DC.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:24 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hate seeing these threads.... really glad everyone is okay!

I've definitely got to get on that tranny cooler....
Old 04-14-2008, 08:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

From Benmar's article:

According to the federal safety regulators, a total of 101,925 Grand Cherokees, equipped with 3.7-liter engines and the “NAG1" automatic transmissions are affected by the recall.
Associated Press reported the safety defect actually was caused by water contamination of the transmission fluid which could cause the transmission to shake, which could lead to a higher transmission temperature, causing the liquid to boil and spew into the engine area where it could ignite.
Is this a possibility for us as well? Should we all change out the tranny fluid right away?

I shouldn't have to get an additional cooler for my transmission. I should have a good transmission to begin with.

I shouldn't have to buy a fire extinguisher either. I don't remember reading in the Jeep manual how to properly put out an engine or transmission fire, should a factory transmission or engine fire occur.

This is disturbing.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:48 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow... just the other day I brought up the fact that we had a good streak going without JK's burning. Sorry to hear about your loss, but it can be replaced.

You said earlier that you dropped the engine or something???

I'm sticking with WOL's theory on these. Automatic transmission overheating. Fluid boils out... hits the exhaust pipe... ignites into flames... and the show is over...

Quick Reply: Jk went up in flames last night....