Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Jk went up in flames last night....

Old 04-13-2008, 04:35 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look at the bright side.

NEW JEEP TIME!!!

Seriously though, that's got me thinking about putting a transmission cooler on my 2 door JK.

Last edited by Black08X; 04-13-2008 at 04:38 PM.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

aww man i hope it don't scare u outta getting another jeep... we'd hate to lose a brother
Old 04-13-2008, 05:05 PM
JK Newbie

I wish mine would burn.
Old 04-13-2008, 05:08 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by medic5
I wish mine would burn.
tHAT WILL definately void your warranty.
Old 04-13-2008, 05:10 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you were running bigger tires and lift and stuff Chrysler would probably blame it on that and say it's not their problem but if you're riding stock that shouldn't be the situation. i'm sorry for you man. looks like ill be getting a fire extinguisher just for the sake of know ing i have one, if you get another jeep what are you gona get?
Old 04-13-2008, 05:17 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Just Speculation

Originally Posted by Brycer
I was driving up north to see my girl friend and as I was cruising the Jeep started sputtering, I pull off and it stops as im getting back on the freeway it starts sputtering again like I don't have gas or something I get out and as I reached for the hood latch a flame pokes its nasty little head out of the side. Needless to say by the time the fire department arrived my jeep was gone. I am going to the wrecking yard tomorrow to get pics.... I am ok I wasn't hurt just shook up and I cried for about 5 mins. Its replaceable along with my belongings. When the fire was put out the only thing left in the engine bay was the engine block.... I will keep you guys up to date.
These new vehicles have quick disconnect plastic fuel lines sealed with ''o'' rings. This makes it easy on the assembly line to assemble , but a little dicey where a bad ''o'' ring or binding fuel line is concerned down the road. Jeep has had this type of fuel line since at least 1995. The sputtering was probably due to a fuel line leak. When you pulled off at idle the sputtering stopped because the engine was not demanding more fuel than the leaking fuel line could deliver. Once back on the road again the fuel demand was more than the line could deliver again and the stuttering started again. enough fuel had leaked to ignite by this time and boom.My 95 YJ cracked the plastic fuel line, I had the sputtering etc. Fortunately I smelled gasoline and shut it down before it ignited. All vehicles I've worked on for several years have had these plastic quick disconnect fuel lines, so it's NOT just a jeep thing....Remember this is strictly speculation on my part!!!!!

Last edited by TINMAN080; 04-13-2008 at 05:26 PM.
Old 04-13-2008, 05:19 PM
JK Newbie

sorry to hear you're going through this.

It's made me think twice about getting a jeep now.

Anyway, if my car (any car) were to burst into flames, I'd rather let it go all the way and collect the insurance than try to save a partially roasted one and hassle with fixing what's left. Am I wrong? Why bother with an extinguisher?
Old 04-13-2008, 05:21 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TINMAN080
These new vehicles have quick disconnect plastic fuel lines sealed with ''o'' rings. This makes it easy on the assembly line to assemble , but a little dicey where a bad ''o'' ring or binding fuel line is concerned down the road. Jeep has had this type of fuel line since at least 1995. The sputtering was probably due to a fuel line leak. When you pulled off at idle the sputtering stopped because the engine was not demanding more fuel than the leaking fuel line could deliver. Once back on the road again the fuel demand was more than the line could deliver again and the stuttering started again. enough fuel had leaked to ignite by this time and boom.
So get under there and inspect those fuel lines regularly everyone.

I'm still adding a tranny cooler to mine though, just to be on the safe side.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:04 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BUMMER! Hope everything works out for you in the end. I'd be interested if anyone can pinpoint what starts these fires?
Old 04-13-2008, 06:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

I went to pop latches and open the hood your better off taking the extinguisher to help your little ones if strapped in the back seat. By the time I got out to pop latches the flame came out and almost burned me if you open the hood who is to say A) you wont burn your hand trying to get the third hook. or B) backdraft in the face... Needless to say Ill let it go.... save your loved ones and let the jeep go. I doubt ill get another jk...... If I do it will be a 6 speed and just for the weekends.

Quick Reply: Jk went up in flames last night....