Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Jk went up in flames last night....

Old 05-06-2008, 07:37 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is anyone filing a lawsuit?

This is a very scary and recurring message - is Chrysler waiting for a few kids to burn up before they take this seriously?

Have any of you heard anything official from the manufacturer that would leave you feeling that they are taking it seriously?

Glad you got out ok and thanks for both the post and the pics.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by bmbl_b
is Chrysler waiting for a few kids to burn up before they take this seriously?
Chrysler will likely never take this seriously. It's happened to quite a few JKs and no one has any ACTUAL evidence as to what caused the fire. This gives Chrysler deniability. We are rolling around in the newest incarnation of the most modifiable vehicle on the planet. It would be, and is, easy for Chrysler to blame it on the mods rather than a design error. To admit to a defect in the vehicle that causes it to catch on fire and burn to the ground would possibly be life threatening to a company that's already in trouble.
Not to be an ass, but I really don't believe that the higher ups at Chrysler give a crap who dies. They care about their inflated pensions and golden umbrellas.
I love my Jeep, but I have no love for the people that sit in their leather office chairs and make financially based decisions about our rigs. The only way they would EVER do anything about this issue is if the media forced their hand. In other words, if there were enough bad press surrounding the burnt JKs, as well as proof that it is due to a design flaw, that Chrysler were FORCED to address it. At that point they would have to fix the problem, but until then... deny, deny, deny.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've got one fire extingusher and I'm going to get a few more, just in case. I had to carry two in my old RX-7. The fuel pulse dampner had a nasty habit of leaking and spraying fuel on the exhaust manifold and red hot turbo.. I had a friend with a nissian 240 with a sr20 swap and his went up in flames from faulty fuel injectors. the bad thing with the JK engine bay is it's 98% plastic. nothing is really left after a fire. I'm to hear you're ok though. The problem might be caused from the dual cat design on the exhaust. It's silly if you ask me.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by neopj3
I've got one fire extingusher and I'm going to get a few more, just in case. I had to carry two in my old RX-7. The fuel pulse dampner had a nasty habit of leaking and spraying fuel on the exhaust manifold and red hot turbo.. I had a friend with a nissian 240 with a sr20 swap and his went up in flames from faulty fuel injectors. the bad thing with the JK engine bay is it's 98% plastic. nothing is really left after a fire. I'm to hear you're ok though. The problem might be caused from the dual cat design on the exhaust. It's silly if you ask me.
Wow. I'm familiar with RX-7's and FPD's . Just sold my S5 TII actually.

That was another horrible failure, though worse in the S4's, that the manufacturer never took any responsibility for.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by neopj3
I sold my sr20 car for this jeep lol. Guess what I just picked up The same dealer I bought my jeep from sells nissans and I bought a 2007 nissan 350z jeep can kiss my ass. LOL. Iwill miss you guys I will definately pop on occasionally.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:47 PM
JK Newbie

I bought an 08 rubi unlimited 6 speed in october,3 days ago my check engine light came on and the engine started sputtering.Also it sounded like a pop or slight backfire from engine compartment.What is the problem here?I have not had a chance to take to dealer ship to have it checked out yet, it has me worried.I really have grown quite attached to the jeep and hate to see her burn..
Old 01-08-2009, 08:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Agree

Originally Posted by Cdash
FILE A REPORT HERE: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/#vehicles

Chrysler will look at the costs of lawauits vs. the cost of a full blown recall and go with what is cheapest.

The NHTSA has the $$ to investigate, find a cause and FORCE a recall if it is a defect.

FILE A REPORT!!
Agree 100%. It's the only voice we have as consumers. If we don't ban together we get what we get.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by booth650
I bought an 08 rubi unlimited 6 speed in october,3 days ago my check engine light came on and the engine started sputtering.Also it sounded like a pop or slight backfire from engine compartment.What is the problem here?I have not had a chance to take to dealer ship to have it checked out yet, it has me worried.I really have grown quite attached to the jeep and hate to see her burn..
The fire issues have all been with unlimited automatics. Your 6 speed has an issue for sure but an overheating tranny is probably not the problem. Get the code pulled from your OBDII since your check engine light came on to find out what's wrong. Good luck.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Get those pics back up or email them to me .. love to see them .. this is not the first ... .
Old 02-22-2009, 06:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default other burned out pics

Is this becoming a comom problem for all jeep brands .. what does the ministry have to say about it .

Comments?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	burned jk-JK.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	19644   Click image for larger version

Name:	anther burnt one.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	19645  

Quick Reply: Jk went up in flames last night....