Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Jk went up in flames last night....

Old 05-05-2008, 06:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Captain Goes Down with Ship

You should have gone down with her much more dramatic that way!
Old 05-05-2008, 07:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Hope my Jeep Doesn't go Down Like That! Every Single one that has b urned down though has been an automatic!
Old 05-05-2008, 01:12 PM
JK Newbie

Hello all, automatic 2 DR here.
Sorry about all the burnt down JKs here... but I figured I'd crawl underneath and take a look.

There seems to be two spots where we could have a possible problem.
Spot1:
Rear of the EVAP recovery unit near the rear drivers side tire. Rubber hose goes OVER the exhaust line. About 2 inches of clearance between the line and the hose.

Spot 2:
Northern (toward front of vehicle) top of gas tank. Hose comes out of the tank... and SQUEEZES (as in... only about .5 inches of clearance) between the TransferCase and the Auto Trans and the body. This could possibly be our problem.

Now, the issue is... how the heck do you squeeze in heat insulation into a space this small?

Also, I wonder if the 4 dr. autos run warmer than the 2drs b/c of the extra weight. (are the gas tanks of the 4 dr bigger? how do they mount the tank?)

I can take some pictures of what I am talking about if you guys think it would be helpful.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:55 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by gerrynjr
Hello all, automatic 2 DR here.
Sorry about all the burnt down JKs here... but I figured I'd crawl underneath and take a look.

There seems to be two spots where we could have a possible problem.
Spot1:
Rear of the EVAP recovery unit near the rear drivers side tire. Rubber hose goes OVER the exhaust line. About 2 inches of clearance between the line and the hose.

Spot 2:
Northern (toward front of vehicle) top of gas tank. Hose comes out of the tank... and SQUEEZES (as in... only about .5 inches of clearance) between the TransferCase and the Auto Trans and the body. This could possibly be our problem.

Now, the issue is... how the heck do you squeeze in heat insulation into a space this small?

Also, I wonder if the 4 dr. autos run warmer than the 2drs b/c of the extra weight. (are the gas tanks of the 4 dr bigger? how do they mount the tank?)

I can take some pictures of what I am talking about if you guys think it would be helpful.
my transmission temp on my 2 door is about 10 degrees warmer than my 4 door...both before and after I installed coolers on them. My 2 door has 3.73s and my 4 dor has 4.10s...both stock size tires.

I was also wondering about gas tank sizes. it costs more to fill up our unlimited and the unlimited has a further range on a tank of gas, so I think the tank is a little bigger.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:27 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the gas tanks are 2dr-18.6 , and the 4dr-21.6

thats interesting your 2dr is running hotter
Old 05-05-2008, 04:47 PM
JK Newbie

I looked at those pics of your Jeep. It was like scenes from a horror movie. Glad you're ok and that insurance is stepping up.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brycer
They are covering the lift, The diff cover I won at Jeep jamboree so that was kind of a kick in the nuts but... Whatever..
The diff covers are solid steel - you should be able to salvage them if you can get under it before they haul it away.....

So sorry about your Jeep, man. Glad you got out ok.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just glad you are all right! The jeep can be replaced. It's amazing to see what's left after a fire like that.

mp
Old 05-05-2008, 10:45 PM
sly
JK Newbie

Gladd you are ok...sorry about the jeep.
However i dont think we should have to buy a fire extinguisher(s) so we can feel safe in our jeeps. DC needs to look in deep and hard on to this problem before someone looses a life. We all need to do our duty call DC and tell them our concerns. I know i will.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Does anyone recall anything this bad happening to CJ's, YJ's, or TJ's ? I'm a previous owner of a YJ and a TJ and been evolved in some other forum discussions but, for the life of me, cant recall previous Jeep owners having as much trouble with there Jeep's as we are having with our JK's (knock on wood). I just think it's a shame that things like this happen

I truly believe I'm a Jeep owner for LIFE !!!! Just hope I can still say that after I've got 100,000+ mile's on my 08'.
Sorry this happened to your Jeep.....Get a new one and keep goin'.

Quick Reply: Jk went up in flames last night....