Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Jk went up in flames last night....

Old 04-15-2008, 07:12 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Brycer have you gone to the Nhtsa site to report the fire?

If not PLEASE DO, it only takes 8-10min

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

THANK YOU
Old 04-15-2008, 07:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys sorry I wont be able to keep up like I did yesterday I went back to work today and I have just been super busy. I will definately fill out the complaint. Ill keep you guys posted.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:13 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by necros
This has me kind of worried. It's not the first fire post I read on here. I'm planning to buy a jeep in a couple of weeks and now I'm really starting to reconsider :( yeah I know, a couple of people vs the 1000's of other jeep owners, but if there's a chance of this happening, even a super slim chance, I'm wondering now if I'm better off not even taking the chance and going with the FJ or Explorer?

If I do end up with the jeep, other than keeping an extinguisher handy, is there anything else I might want to consider doing to prevent this from happening?
Go check the forums for those vehicles as well, you'll hear about them going up in flames. It's a rare event, but it can happen to any vehicle at any time. When you are dealing with all the flamable fluids and materials it doesn;t take much. I would not let this sway you, if you are truly concerned, then get a manual as none of these have been manual, it seems to be an issue with the auto's.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:06 PM
JK Newbie

I look under my rubi and I think the problem is the fuel line ,they are plastic hanging over the muffler and bolted to the trans ,now the trans gets hot melt the cheap plastic the motor start sputtering and you have fuel leak .

now if you go in the mud and the fuel line gets cover in mud the extra weight will make the fuel line hit the muffler .

ether way I will be looking for a heat shield for the fuel line and a trans cooler because Friday my rubi will have RE 3.5 AEV 17" and KM2 so my trans will have to work harder and if something happens to my kids somebody will have the Jeep up you know what for the 2nd time this year.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:56 AM
JK Newbie

Brycer,

Curious were you using cruise control when this happened? I wonder about the others that burned as well. When I saw your message I assumed it was the older thread coming back up. Then I realized here we go again.

The reason I'm asking is I'm having flashbacks to when I bought my Ford F150 in 2001. I started reading reports on the f150online.com forums of peoples trucks burning up (and burning down houses when parked in attached garages after having used cruise control). This went on for years (like what seems to be happening here now) and finally ford recalled old versions of the truck. Well it kept happening to newer trucks and finally somewhere around 2005 or so they recalled my truck and replaced something with the cruise control component. I'm not sure if it was overheating, a short in the cruise control module, fluid, or what. But it all seems similar... But it seems like all these are happening on the highway so maybe the cruise control is a factor? Just curious...

-Matt
Old 04-16-2008, 05:12 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by tkob1060
one was a bone stock rental jeep that burned right on the highway

was it not a 4 door automatic????? These are the two options that SEEM to coincide !

just trying to help the guy with his question! He wanted to know what to avoid!
Old 04-16-2008, 05:19 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by HULKGREEN
was it not a 4 door automatic????? These are the two options that SEEM to coincide !

just trying to help the guy with his question! He wanted to know what to avoid!
This one was the 2 door auto.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hehe, well, I don't think a manual is an option for me. I can't drive stick and don't really want to learn. I need my limited ADD attention span to concentrate on the road instead of shifting Plus I'm just lazy like that...

Well, honestly, I don't think these burning posts would make me not buy a jeep, just something that worries me. If it was happening to a lot, then maybe.. But if there's any kind of preventative thing we could have done that would be great. Like if it's really caused by an overheating transmission causing other stuff to melt, then I'd want to look into a good cooler for it or at least some kind of temp guage so I can see how hot it's getting. Or if there's a cheapy plastic fuel line connector that's melting or snapping off maybe there's something more durable that it could be switched to. So I think if I got a jeep, I'd feel a lot more at east if I know there's something I can do to help protect it from spontaneous combustion
Old 04-16-2008, 07:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Note to self.....

Buy a Fire Extinguisher..
Old 04-16-2008, 08:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Not 1 but 2 fire extinguishers purchased yesterday and installed this morning -- 1 under driver seat -- 1 under passenger seat. Very easy install -- That hold in the chair rail seems like it was put there to attach an extinguisher to - perfect fit!

Quick Reply: Jk went up in flames last night....