Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Jk went up in flames last night....

Old 04-15-2008, 05:47 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

THese things are really appealing to a lot of young folks. Some of these are their first new vehicles. I couldn't imagine something like this happening. Glad you're OK. I hope it all works out for you. All I can say is do like all the others are saying. File all the complaints and reports you can.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brycer
Sorry for the quality they are cell phone pics tomorrow Im going to borrow a camera from a friend being that i lost mine and my laptop.

Wow

Are you going to sell that lift?
Old 04-15-2008, 06:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

This has me kind of worried. It's not the first fire post I read on here. I'm planning to buy a jeep in a couple of weeks and now I'm really starting to reconsider :( yeah I know, a couple of people vs the 1000's of other jeep owners, but if there's a chance of this happening, even a super slim chance, I'm wondering now if I'm better off not even taking the chance and going with the FJ or Explorer?

If I do end up with the jeep, other than keeping an extinguisher handy, is there anything else I might want to consider doing to prevent this from happening?
Old 04-15-2008, 06:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation

damn, sorry about your jeep, hope you get anotherone or something you like as a replacement without any money from you.

Originally Posted by wayoflife
EDIT - just before Trail Bud started to smoke, he was saying that his engine was having a hard time making the climb... like it was dying. Also, he had the infamous 'ding' go off as well (i.e. tranny was overheating).

you know... this has happened to me. after doing a lot of hill climbing and such on a trail, mine will start to act as if its loosing power and getting really hot. i have an auto as well. sounds like i need to get a trans temp gauage...
Old 04-15-2008, 07:00 AM
JK Freak

Well just to let you all know I heard back from Griffin Radiator today, here is their reply:

Hi Tim, If you can send us the transcooler we can figure it out. Our JK rad is one of our best sellers.We would be more than happy to help.

So I am going to order one today and then send it to them and see what they come up with. I'll let you all know. I want it to be a direct bolt in replacement just like their radiator.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:48 AM
JK Newbie

Interesting, and I am sorry for your loss. I have 24,000 miles on my Sahara 4-dr. Just 2 weeks ago I drove from Miami to my house 958.5 miles while towing 2,000lbs running 75-90 mph going up hills and mountains. I was watching for a tranny light to come on just so I could pull over and let it cool, but never such light. Mine is auto and I believe the Sahara has the towing package with intercooler right?
Old 04-15-2008, 08:55 AM
JK Newbie

When the wrangler first arrived in foley alabama one of the new unlimited wranglers was test drove off the lot. This new wrangler being driven on the road with the salesperson caught on fire. The fire department was not able to save this one either. I heard the fire started in the frame under driverside. The dealership advised that the problem had only happened a couple times and had been corrected from the factory. Check into it. the dealerships is Gulf Chrysler and the Foley fire department.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:26 PM
JK Newbie

Default Video of 2008 wrangler on fire

http://youtube.com/watch?v=N5ADiI9v_ac&feature=related

Here's 2008 burning on Youtube
Sorry, if this posted already. I haven't seen it before.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:33 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by necros
This has me kind of worried. It's not the first fire post I read on here. I'm planning to buy a jeep in a couple of weeks and now I'm really starting to reconsider :( yeah I know, a couple of people vs the 1000's of other jeep owners, but if there's a chance of this happening, even a super slim chance, I'm wondering now if I'm better off not even taking the chance and going with the FJ or Explorer?

If I do end up with the jeep, other than keeping an extinguisher handy, is there anything else I might want to consider doing to prevent this from happening?
no guarantees by any means ..... but it appears to be related to 4 door automatic transmission if you are that scared avoid these options together.......

Last edited by HULKGREEN; 04-15-2008 at 05:50 PM.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:10 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by HULKGREEN
no guarantees by any means ..... but it appears to be related to 4 door automatic transmission if you are that scared avoid these options together.......
one was a bone stock rental jeep that burned right on the highway

Quick Reply: Jk went up in flames last night....