Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

JK Unlimited Side Air bags -to have or have not?

Old 02-10-2010, 07:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by saltman
You should have bought a Volvo. A Jeep is not a safe vehicle. It is irresponsible transporting children in a high center of gravity vehicle.
Seriously? Ill make sure I wrap them in bubble wrap then.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:31 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got mine off the lot with side air bags. Wasn't looking for them, though
Old 02-10-2010, 07:36 AM
JK Super Freak

I ordered mine with them.

I realize when I have the doors off driving around, and when wheeling, the side airbags as such will be virtually worthless for any level of protection.

That said, I have my doors on more than I have them off, and will take any extra level of protection to be able to live and wheel another day should I ever get hit from the side.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by highoctane
Seriously? Ill make sure I wrap them in bubble wrap then.
I was being sarcastic about the people that act like they bought their Jeep as a kid hauler. It's a Jeep not a volvo. Side air bags on a vehicle with removable doors is a farce.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:10 AM
JK Super Freak

I was being sarcastic about the people that act like they bought their Jeep as a kid hauler. It's a Jeep not a volvo. Side air bags on a vehicle with removable doors is a farce.
Hardly a Farce, look at the crash test with VS without. World of difference. You sound ignorant.

For what I spent on my Rubicon why wouldn't I spend the money it cost to have them as it wasn't much at all compared to the total cost of the vehicle. For me it was a no brainer. Maybe you just don't like your wife all that much...
Old 02-10-2010, 09:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FYI - The side air bags are only good for front passengers. There are no side airbags in the rear seats. Like I said previously, I lost a family member is a fairly low speed side impact crash. Side impacts are often more deadly than front or rear end collisions as the crush zones are smaller. A side air bag is a plus in my book as the life you save may be your own.

That said, I am not the type to say everyone should wear a helmet when riding a motorcycle, or every one should fasten their seat belt, to each his own. Everyone should be free to do what they want, but when I buy a JK or ride a motorcycle you will find me with side air bags, a latched seat belt, and when on my bike a helmet.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Dylanjam77
Hardly a Farce, look at the crash test with VS without. World of difference. You sound ignorant.

For what I spent on my Rubicon why wouldn't I spend the money it cost to have them as it wasn't much at all compared to the total cost of the vehicle. For me it was a no brainer. Maybe you just don't like your wife all that much...
Good point. To each their own.

I bought the Jeep to take on the trails. I could care less about side air bags and makeup mirrors. I have about 1/20th of the mile on it from the road.

Others may have bought theirs for other reasons.

From my perspective it's like the tail wagging the dog. It's like buying a vicious attack dog to protect your property and then asking how to protect yourself from it. It seems there are better options out there if safety is such a HUGE consideration for you.

It seems the OP has made up his mind. Go for it! You're going to have to order one because the reason their are none on the lots is most people don't buy a Jeep thinking about safety and most people view the expense as frivolous.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good point. To each their own.

I bought the Jeep to take on the trails. I could care less about side air bags and makeup mirrors. I have about 1/20th of the mile on it from the road.

Others may have bought theirs for other reasons.

From my perspective it's like the tail wagging the dog. It's like buying a vicious attack dog to protect your property and then asking how to protect yourself from it. It seems there are better options out there if safety is such a HUGE consideration for you.

It seems the OP has made up his mind. Go for it! You're going to have to order one because the reason their are none on the lots is most people don't buy a Jeep thinking about safety and most people view the expense as frivolous.

I didn't say there were none on the lots, just that they were less plentiful. As you say to each their own, but I don't find safety expenses frivolous with all the idiots on the roads these days. Since you are only driving yours on the trail you obviously don't care, yet you care enough to respond to this thread. Next time I will be sure to include "as a daily driver" in my posting.

Enjoy the trail.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:36 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JK-UTE
Sounds like it's a personal call. I don't have them but I don't think they were an option in 07
Bought my wife's 07 unlimited with 1/2 doors off the lot with side air bags.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:42 AM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by dstock
Just curious how many got the side airbags in their JK's, seems like most of the new ones on the dealer lots don't have them. Wondering if it's just not a popular option?

I opted for it when I special ordered my Jeep.

Of course they serve no purpose when the doors are off

Quick Reply: JK Unlimited Side Air bags -to have or have not?