Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

JK Top Speed

Old 06-30-2010, 07:08 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best think I like about my Wrangler? I have a heavy foot. I drive fast throughout the day due to my line of work and it seems no matter how much I plan something comes up and I'm behind the 8 ball. My other toy is an AMG that is impossible to keep her under 70-75 on the freeway. You can do 130 in it and it feels like your doing 65.

My Jeep on the other hand tames me -- I rarely and over 70 MPH and regualrily do 63-65 on the freeway! Have no idea what the top speed may be because I never pushed it to the limit to see -- she isn't the AMG, she is a wheeler!
Old 07-01-2010, 06:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

75 mph is the maximum that seems farily safe, handling wise, to me in my 2 door unlifted Jeep. The setup I have is not even working hard at 100+?, but input from seat of pants when I tested this was screaming "slow the hell down or your gonna die". Steering, COG, and tires are not built for high speed and the vehicle will be trying to tell you that.

I love the acceleration options, the effortless motoring, and the pure fun a Hemi gives me, but on the expressway, I set the cruise for 73 and enjoy the ride. Lots of minivans pass me.

Especially in a 2 door, be careful people, it may seem to ride nice above 75 mph in a straight line, but if you have to do any sudden moves, good luck with that.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:11 PM
JK Junkie

I just move the transfercase lever to Hyperdrive and don't even know how fast I'm going. I run at 75 mph.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:30 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...Where we're going there are no roads....
Old 10-10-2010, 04:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mjolnir
I drive like an old man, usually right at the speed limit. Mine's never been over 75 mph (I love American interstates for that reason!!!)
On the parkway in NJ try driving at 75mph in rush hour and see where that gets you.. You can do 100mph no problem in my experience.

Check this little baby out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driscoll_Bridge

"With a total of 15 lanes, it is the widest bridge in the world."
Old 10-11-2010, 03:23 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by OK2JEEP
The question of just how fast I should drive on the highway in a Wrangler? On my visor it says to avoid excess speeds.

This being my first Wrangler I am not quite sure what a safe speed to get around on the Interstate is.

I have nearly new Goodyear SRA 17'' tires and every other componet is standard.

Thanks Folks!

I have had the speedo pegged out when stock... i have the speed limiter removed with the superchips... and would not even dream of going that fast again after the lift and bigger tires....

with that said.. there is no reason to go above 90 for passing, i do it frequently for a very short period of time and anything above that with the lift it feels like th jeep might try to take flight.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Cruise Control at 72mph....that is about it for CA Freeways....they are really busting people much higher than that

joe
Old 10-11-2010, 04:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Top speed for 2010 Jeep Rubicon

If you want to know what the top speed for a Jeep rubicon is straight from the factory......120mph

.....don't ask.....
and yes it has a limiter that keeps it from going any faster
(6100 rpm -stock 32's- automatic trans - 2DR - US Hwy 61 Louisiana -dist -6 miles)

and it road pretty smooth by the way.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:56 AM
JK Freak

I hit 90 in mine a little bit after I got it just for fun. And I would say that it was anything but fun. After coming from a Grand Cherokee that would do 100 no problems, it felt VERY unstable at 90. I remember going over the passes in Colorado thinking at every turn the damn JK was going to flip. I can't imagine going from an Accord or something to a JK and what 90 would feel like. Let alone 120 like stated above. Yikes! You get used to the way a Wrangler drives, and you forget just how over the road it really is. Sure, the JK is waaaay better than a TJ - but still it wanders and drifts and bobbles. I think 75 is fast enough, and if it isn't on cruise I usually find that I drive 65 naturally. 65 is the MPG sweet spot, the handling sweet spot and fast enough to get just about anywhere only a few minutes later.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:05 AM
JK Newbie

The most I have ever done in my 2008 jk 6 speed was 90.. I felt like I was able to watch the gas gauge move lol

Also, something you dont really read on here is that i get worse mileage in my daily driver than in my wrangler haha...

My daily driver is a 2010 grand cherokee srt8... Ive gotten that one up to 140, the big brembo brakes on it slow it down in a hurry thankfully

Quick Reply: JK Top Speed