Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

JK Top Speed

Old 06-30-2010, 07:52 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have been 95mph in a "burst" down a slight grade to help out. 2dr didn't like it at all, (short/unstable!) just wanted to see if it'd do it!

I've held 80 for long periods on trips without a concern.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:57 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How in the world do you get a Jeep to do over a 100mph unless you are going down a 50% grade? I do 0-60 in 5 minutes and I have a Superchips. (maybe it's all the weight).
For those who live in windy areas (30-60 mph winds), I can't see how you can go much faster than 65-70 mph. Even that is too much for me with some of these winds were have here.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Funny, a "JK top speed" thread.

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
I've held 80 for long periods on trips without a concern.
That's about the limit for me. Things get a little buzzy and a little ponderous in the handling department much over that . . .
Old 06-30-2010, 08:02 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Christine
How in the world do you get a Jeep to do over a 100mph unless you are going down a 50% grade? I do 0-60 in 5 minutes and I have a Superchips. (maybe it's all the weight).
For those who live in windy areas (30-60 mph winds), I can't see how you can go much faster than 65-70 mph. Even that is too much for me with some of these winds were have here.
We actually street raced my JK and a modded 4.0L TJ the other night after a trail lol. Took me about 20 seconds or so to hit 80 in 4th (6spd). My 6spd, 4.10s and a tuner will "giddyup", but you have to turn some RPM to get it to move

I haven't gone over a hundred though, but i did have another gear at 95..which was on a slight downhill grade.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:59 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Christine
Yes, winds do make a big difference with the aero of a brick.

But gears are probably what make the biggest difference mod-wise. Or maybe you have an automatic and I have a manual?
Old 06-30-2010, 09:41 AM
JK Newbie

Default Keeping up with traffic.

Down here in SoCal, you sometimes find that you're going 85 mph just keeping up with traffic. It's hard to drive defensively without getting run over or becoming a moving hazard, so you end up going with the flow. I think the main thing is getting familiar with what your vehicle is going to do in emergency situations. The Wrangler now has electronic stability control. I've experimented in empty parking lots a couple of times now and can feel it working, so it might be a good idea to get familiar with that. It'll probably help to keep you out of trouble, but the vehicle does need to obey the laws of physics, as someone has already pointed out. Try a couple of "panic" stops to see how that feels.

I think the main problem is that since the Wrangler is fairly stiff in the suspension, it gives people the impression that it might corner like a sportscar. It won't. It has very low limits, (but seems like it's behavior is predictable): still, I don't think I want to find out how it behaves in an 85 MPH, four wheel drift.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

i got my to 100 plus since i was doing 100 by the time i got to this hill and them when down this hill i wander how fast more i was doing see it was at 100 and the rpm where increasing i promise my girl i would not doing again since she was really scare
Old 06-30-2010, 11:14 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by OK2JEEP
The question of just how fast I should drive on the highway in a Wrangler? On my visor it says to avoid excess speeds.

This being my first Wrangler I am not quite sure what a safe speed to get around on the Interstate is.

I have nearly new Goodyear SRA 17'' tires and every other componet is standard.

Thanks Folks!
The first thing I would do if I were you, would be......drive down the road at about 30mph and then make a super quick lane change. Then after that try a little quicker of a lane change. After you feel comfortable with that, make like, "in an instant" kind of a lane change. That should give you a REAL good idea of how she handles. Now think about what could very well happen if you HAVE to make that same kind of instant lane change going over 60 to avoid an accident. One of the MAIN problems Jeep had when they came out was roll overs....many, many,...did I say <<<MANY>>>!!! people were killed...!!! That's why, years ago, they started to build the Wranglers so squaty looking and lower to the ground. Now yes, these jeeps maneuver a lot better than the old ones, but they are STILL EXTREMELY SUSCEPTIBLE TO ROLL OVER...!!! The power steering in these things allow you to turn the wheel much faster than you want to. IMO, move along with traffic and call it good. Slow down and live...!!!
Old 06-30-2010, 11:21 AM
JK Freak

I do the usual "rule of thumb" 10km per hour over the limit. Once I'm on my own road , off thr highway, I drive by feel. I rarely look at the speedometer at that point. I go as fast as I'm comfortable with.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

I make sure that I hit the head before I go on a long trip, so am never in that much of a hurry.....

Quick Reply: JK Top Speed