Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

JK suspension question

Old 03-19-2014, 01:06 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JK suspension question

I am a new jeep owner. 2013 JK Sport 2 dr. So I found a stock JK Rubicon suspension that has less than 100 miles on them for 150 OBO. Control arms, shocks, springs, and links. Is this a good deal? and should I do it?
Old 03-19-2014, 01:28 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Rubicons have the same suspension as all other jk's except for the shocks. Coils are sized by weight of the jeep so what do you expect to gain from putting on a rubicon suspension?
Old 03-19-2014, 01:34 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nvm dirt beat me to it...
Old 03-19-2014, 02:39 PM
JK Newbie

See I wasn't sure. I had read somewhere it rode better and it gave a small lift like an inch or inch and a half. Sorry I'm used to mustangs not jeeps. I'm still in the process of learning about everything lol
Old 03-19-2014, 02:41 PM
JK Freak

I'd put that money towards a real aftermarket suspension lift. This idea you currently have you're spending money to go from stock to stock again. Waste of money in my opinion.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:51 PM
JK Newbie

Very valid point. Pretty sure I'll take your advice on that one. Thanks a lot I appreciate the help!
Old 03-19-2014, 02:57 PM
JK Junkie

Depending on what your goal is, yes....I would do it. You'd only need to swap the coils if they're a high number (ensure they are before you buy) and the shocks.

It *can* get you an inch, but they are still factory components and will settle with time and loads. I'm replacing my stock coils for the second time now at 96k miles, maybe next time the price of what I'd like to get will be closer to what I feel is fair. All told- I'm in my suspension 'upgrade' at $40. I bought a lot of items like you did and sold off the arms for cheap to someone who had a bent one, sold the shocks to someone who was using them on a project, and gave the links away.

For me- $40 isn't bad for stock parts to last me this long. The higher coil numbers stiffened up the ride a tad and resisted the urge to sag the back end with a trailer.

I went from 12/54's to 17/58's so there was a substantial gain in ride quality.

Quick Reply: JK suspension question