Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

jk speeders!

Old 09-18-2009, 09:27 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hehehe, try going from a sports car to a Jeep JK 2 door. I ordered a 6 speed manual so I could have more control over acceleration. The automatic would have driven me nuts.

I had my jeep up to about 80 on the way home from work. I admit it, I am a speed addict, but I don't tailgate people and I don't make dangerous passing moves.

It's been kind of fun over the last month, testing the limits on the JK. The 6 speed manual lets you get some good acceleration for such a low horsepower engine. I had a blast this afternoon, pushing the little 6 cylinder to perform.

My husband had a V10 Dodge 2500 with a manual and I always had a blast with that. No way I could ever drive an automatic.....
Old 09-18-2009, 09:30 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With all the crap on my Jeep and the steel wheels it takes quite a bit of effort just to do 75, let alone 90.

The gears and auto tranny don't help either.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

it is 65 here in PA. i usually obey. we had some new temp hires as of late. one of them drives home the same way i do. older cavailer with a "fart can" muffler. i have seen him do 75 plus. hurry to go nowhere.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:23 AM
JK Newbie

There's a stretch of highway between Tucson and Phoenix here in AZ. No matter what I'm driving I usually hit 90 and average about 85, even in a 4-door JK. Weird thing is you can usually find a speeding partner (random vehicle who follows your lead) or two to follow you...makes me feel better if I get caught I'm not the only one who gets in trouble...not that it makes the ticket any cheaper or anything...but other than that I stick to the Speed limits...
But except for JKs that are modded, I don't understand why some people think 6 speeds are slow...mine is quite zippy for as heavy as it is...
Old 09-19-2009, 12:00 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hit 85 once and I have 6in of lift. The front felt like it was gonna lift off and take flight.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JKinmarana
There's a stretch of highway between Tucson and Phoenix here in AZ. No matter what I'm driving I usually hit 90 and average about 85, even in a 4-door JK. Weird thing is you can usually find a speeding partner (random vehicle who follows your lead) or two to follow you...makes me feel better if I get caught I'm not the only one who gets in trouble...not that it makes the ticket any cheaper or anything...but other than that I stick to the Speed limits...
But except for JKs that are modded, I don't understand why some people think 6 speeds are slow...mine is quite zippy for as heavy as it is...
Who thinks the 6 speeds are slow? Its the automatics that are slow. The 6 speeds consistently put down 15 more RWHP. Plus, you have a lot more gears to chose from to always keep the engine in the power band. 4th and 5th gear are great passing gears depending on how fast you are going.

the 6 speed and the 4.10s are the only thing that makes my JK drivable for me.

Mine will cruise all day long at 90+ mph if I wanted it to. However, I rarely go much over 80, other than to pass some one, because of the M/Ts.

'08 Rubicion Unlimited 6 speed.
Old 09-19-2009, 02:11 PM
JK Newbie

Havent seen anyone doin 90 in a JK.. Didnt know it would go that fast! If ya do, be sure your tires are in good shape - cant imagine a jeep would look too good after a high speed blowout.

Sports car to Jeep - did that and deliberately got an auto - 2 tickets over $250 each in less than a year convinced my wallet that it was a good time to change what I drove.
Old 09-19-2009, 05:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will push 5-7 over posted
The Jeep seems to like 70 better than 60-65
Old 09-19-2009, 08:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by myklt8
I will push 5-7 over posted
The Jeep seems to like 70 better than 60-65
For some reason, my Jeep will hold 90 in 6th gear on hills as easily as it will hold 80. Actually, at sea level it held 90 easier. This is partly because of the very low final gear ratio with the 6 speed and 4:10s...
Old 09-20-2009, 04:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rinkishJK
ok just for the record... is there ANY REASON to be doing over 90mph in a 4dr jk?!?!. i was in my work vehicle on rt 78 in left lane. i was movin. had to get someone somewhere quick. so i am doin 85ish and i look in rearview and here is mr. suit and tie in his red 4dr riding my ass! then he proceeds to try and scoot around me changin lanes like he is bobby labonte! i dont get it!! when i drive my jk i feel like if i go over 70 i am breaking the "jeep code". maybe its cause i live in nj and everyone has to be somewhere NOW! i have never seen someone drivin a jk like this guy. he must not like his jk... or his life. sorry had to tell someone.

You're showing your age... Not because you don't like guys passing you at 85 but because you remember when Bobby Labonte used to pass people!