Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

JK soft top glass?

Old 03-01-2009, 09:26 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default JK soft top glass?

Does anyone know if a soft top rear GLASS window is made by anyone? It seems like a fairly good idea to me. No more babying the plastic one and probably much better visibility.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is a great idea. I could see myself breaking the glass on a regular basis.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:00 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sorry, but I have no idea how that could possibly work. And what would you do with them when you put down the top?
Old 03-01-2009, 01:45 PM
JK Super Freak

I kind of batted an idea like that before.

I wanted to find some badly scratched up side and rear soft top windows and remove the clear plastic.

Then I would try to buy matching OEM Best Top material and have that sewn in to replace the plastic.

I was going to put in much smaller plexi glass (say 8" X 12") windows centered in the sides and back. I would have to determine the actual best size to allow for folding and storage.

I might even put some roll up flaps to cover them. That way if I ever had to sleep in my Jeep I wouldn't feel like I was laying in Macy's front window

I was hoping the top would have that old military MB look.

I never followed up on this. The tough part was/is finding somebody who has or is replacing their soft top windows. But if I keep going with the way I'm scratching mine, I may be replacing my own.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:20 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Davis
Does anyone know if a soft top rear GLASS window is made by anyone? It seems like a fairly good idea to me. No more babying the plastic one and probably much better visibility.
no more babying the plastic one? so what you could throw the Glass one around more? Roll it up? Store it easy any not have to worry about scratching or breaking it?

Better order 2 to start with
Old 04-08-2009, 06:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was just thinking about that myself. I don't see why not. A lot of ragtop cars have glass. My Porsche had a glass rear window. Granted, it is a Jeep and it doesn't need rear defrost, but that would be cool too. And for the record, that porsche didn't hold a candle in the wind to the JK. I certainly traded up!
Old 04-09-2009, 03:41 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by rich1340
I was just thinking about that myself. I don't see why not. A lot of ragtop cars have glass. My Porsche had a glass rear window. Granted, it is a Jeep and it doesn't need rear defrost, but that would be cool too. And for the record, that porsche didn't hold a candle in the wind to the JK. I certainly traded up!
Hey, you have a WRANGLER don't forget that!!!

If you want a glass, buy a Range Rover, a Hummer, an Escalade or what ever
Old 04-09-2009, 04:17 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JK Freedom
Hey, you have a WRANGLER don't forget that!!!

If you want a glass, buy a Range Rover, a Hummer, an Escalade or what ever
Or buy a jeep with a hard top. Don't they have glass back windows Personally I ditched my soft top and just use a bikini. It's a little cold in the winter and the back gets wet, but I never have problems seeing out the back.

Quick Reply: JK soft top glass?