Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

JK Rubicon vs. JK Rubicon UNlimited

Old 10-21-2008, 09:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JK Rubicon vs. JK Rubicon UNlimited

I have a 2007 JK Rubicon Soft top. When my lease expires next year I'm thinking of getting a 2008 JK Rubicon UNlimited Freedom Top. But how will the JK unlimited do on the trail? The UNlimited does NOT have the approach, departure and break over angles the JK does. How does the JK Rubicon UNlimited do on the Rubicon Trail in Northern California compared to the regular JK Rubicon?
Old 10-21-2008, 10:19 PM
wdb
JK Enthusiast

I dont see why the approach and departure angles would be different?

I love my Unlimited and would have to say that the only thing holding it back compared to a two door is the break over. Which is easily fixable when lifted. I guess the turning radius is larger too but i would think theyd be pretty equally matched out on the trail.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:08 AM
JK Jedi

While there are some differences in performance because of the wheelbase, I call it a wash. The SWB JK has pros and cons as does the Unlimited. If the Unlimited better suits your needs on a daily basis then get it, no worries about off-road performance.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:55 AM
JK Freak

Concerning off-roading, Unlimited or not, it really doesn't matter. It depends of your mods...
Old 10-22-2008, 04:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an unlimited Rubi, and routinely wheel with 2 door rubis.

Speaking from experience, the differences are as follows:

#1. Unlimited simply can't turn as tight. I've always managed to get through the same spots, but I have to work a little harder at it.

#2. The Unlimited doesn't have the breakover angle of a 2 door. You're more likely to scrape or get hung up if your line isn't just right. This will obviously be less of an issue after a lift and larger tires.

#3. The Unlimited is more stable when climbing...that long wheelbase makes life easier when you're on an ugly little uphill with uncertain footing. I can climb things in my Unlimited that give guys in identical 2 doors lots of problems - we're talking multiple attempts, both axles locked, trying different lines...the 4 door doesn't have to work as hard.

#4. All of the passengers and "hangers-on" on any given trail ride want to try riding in the Unlimited. This can be a good thing when they're cute
Old 10-22-2008, 01:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by pearl-drum-man
While there are some differences in performance because of the wheelbase, I call it a wash. The SWB JK has pros and cons as does the Unlimited. If the Unlimited better suits your needs on a daily basis then get it, no worries about off-road performance.
What he said, I completely agree, the breakover is the only issue I'd see and as stated that can be resolved easily.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by w squared
I have an unlimited Rubi, and routinely wheel with 2 door rubis.

Speaking from experience, the differences are as follows:

#1. Unlimited simply can't turn as tight. I've always managed to get through the same spots, but I have to work a little harder at it.

#2. The Unlimited doesn't have the breakover angle of a 2 door. You're more likely to scrape or get hung up if your line isn't just right. This will obviously be less of an issue after a lift and larger tires.

#3. The Unlimited is more stable when climbing...that long wheelbase makes life easier when you're on an ugly little uphill with uncertain footing. I can climb things in my Unlimited that give guys in identical 2 doors lots of problems - we're talking multiple attempts, both axles locked, trying different lines...the 4 door doesn't have to work as hard.

#4. All of the passengers and "hangers-on" on any given trail ride want to try riding in the Unlimited. This can be a good thing when they're cute

good write-up, I can see the longer wheelbase being a big help, especially when the 2-dr TJ and some JK folks stretch there rigs for real rock-crawling, it's just more stable.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks guys.

Last edited by gdeal; 10-23-2008 at 05:02 PM.

Quick Reply: JK Rubicon vs. JK Rubicon UNlimited