Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.
View Poll Results: JK Rubicon is the most capable mass produced stock 4x4 every built.
True
87.50%
False
12.50%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

The JK Rubicon is...

Old 09-02-2008, 03:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love Jeeps and tend toward the hardcore definition of Jeep, that being only CJs and Wranglers, but a real Hummer (H1) is one mean machine.
I had to vote false.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:44 PM
JK Freak

This is a real tuff question. I would have to say that it is in the top 3 (stock form) top 3 would be a defender, Jeep rubicon, and a H1.

They are all 3 very capable. I can tell you however it is a fact that a stock H1 will outperform any of these vehicles in mud. They have more ground clearence, bigger tires etc..etc....sure they weigh more, but they also have enough ground clearence and nothing to shovel the mud in the undercarrage.

Other then that, its a toss up between the 3. Obviously the H1 was ment for wide open spaces and for military purposes. If the H1 wont fit, that what they have tanks for

landrover deffender doesnt have lockers, but has a good traction control system. They also do well in places where the rubicon will shine.

It really is a toss up like i said between all 3 of these, but honestly, if your asking the question of what is the most capable, you are probably one of the guys like me that wants a very capable rig, and will mod it anyway, so it really wouldnt matter. You are going to mod it to suit your needs. If you are running a deffender in the rocks, you are going to need to beef up some components on it. The jeep would do fine for the most part. H1 is...well out of place here. If you are into the jungle expedition vehicle thing, a deffender 110 might work best as they have more room, larger fuel tank and is diesel. but then again you would probably have a rock on the jeep etc...etc...This can go on and on, but you get my point. I respect all 3 of these vehicles and reguard them as the most capable vehicles produced.

Also, yes the willies MB is a great offroader...however, there are also things they suck at...off camber situations, they are super narrow. They dont have the best approach angles. small gas tank.

Diesel trucks suck in the mud, at least in my opinion. Down here, in the Fl mud, they are just to heavy and sink.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:50 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by gt3073b
For the money: Samurai or used XJ
For dodging bullets, craters, and a Yak at 50mph: HMMWV / H1
For Baja: IFS 4x4 (FJ Cruiser, Pickup, etc)
For mud: Diesel Pickup
For Rocks: JK Rubicon (though a built X or Sahara is every bit as good)
For malls: H2
For malls with curbs: H3

For most of these, it could be argued that 2 wheels will get you there faster at the expense of cargo capacity, and requiring significant rider skill.

Bryan.
Shouldn't it be:

For malls: H3
For malls with curbs: H2
For malls at Christmastime/back to school/BBQ season: H3T

??????
Old 09-02-2008, 04:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default unimog

on that 101 cars you must drive on speed channel they were driving this unimog. it appears to be very capable. b4 I could vote on this issue I'd have to see a head to head run between the two.

don't get me wrong I love my jeep.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Pinzgauer's are certainly available here. The H1 can't get into half the places that the Wrangler can so I would say it has more limitations making it less capable.

There are others I know little about such as the Land Rover Defender. But all-in-all almost every automotive reviewer claims the Wrangler is the most off-road capable vehicle made. They test them against the competition so I guess they know.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:04 PM
JK Super Freak

I voted true but what about a unimog... those can be crazy
Old 09-02-2008, 06:35 PM
JK Freak

yea, unimogs are crazy....tons of configurations, great payload, axles etc...they are just awesome
Old 09-02-2008, 08:48 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The military H1s can be had pretty reasonably now. Also, I find it strange no one mentioned the Dodge M37. That is, unless we are comparing new vehicles to new vehicles. I have to pretty much agree with the majority though, the Jeep is still tough to beat.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Unimog

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxdX0au-BNA

STILL LOVE MY JEEP

i hear these unimogs sell for 80grand
Old 09-03-2008, 02:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

03-06 way more capable

Quick Reply: The JK Rubicon is...