Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

JK Rubi vs D90

Old 09-27-2007, 01:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In 1996, when I got my discovery, the only thing that rated lower than Land Rover for initial quality was Kia, IIRC. not stirring the pot but...
Old 09-27-2007, 05:25 PM
JK Freak

Just read this thread...wow, what a bunch of crap. LET ME GET SOMETHING THROUGH YALLS HEADS. A defender 90 is bad ass...It always will be. My jeep rubicon is bad ass, and it always will be. They each have there strengths but were designed for different purposes. A defender 90 was originally designed for farm use and offroad use in the military. Jeep started as a war vehicle to. LAND ROVER HAS BEEN AROUND SINCE 1948....NOT THAT MUCH LONGER THEN JEEP, so were your getting your idea about the jeep having more time to be refined i dont know...maybe you just pulled it out of your but to sound smart? Have you seen a NEW defender 90...They are a heck of allot nicer then my rubicon.

To whoever made the comment about them being easy to fix...both are really easy to fix...if you cant fix a straight axle vehicle, you shouldn't be wheelin. Also, the land rover is actually easier to fix engine wise...that engine has been around forever, longer then the old 4.0

And to whoever made the comment about land rover being expensive to fix....yea over here...go to england, they are like fixing our jeeps over here, parts are everywhere...just like our jeeps.

everyone quite knocking the defender90, i guarantee they can just as easily keep up with my rubi....in fact i would rather have had a D90, but they are just so damn expensive for a old vehicle :(
Old 09-28-2007, 04:53 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by bofer84
Just read this thread...wow, what a bunch of crap. ...so were your getting your idea about the jeep having more time to be refined i dont know...maybe you just pulled it out of your but to sound smart?
Hmmm... your spelling and grammar suck, so it's tough to figure out what you're trying to criticize, but I'll give it a shot. If you read my post that you're attacking, you'll see that I'm talking about an 07 JK versus a '94 D90... that's 13 years' of refinement that the JK has on its side. Maybe you were drunk when you wrote your post? I hope so...
Old 09-28-2007, 05:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

i wish i would have just gone to the uk to get mine fixed... i could have saved a fortune!
Old 09-28-2007, 05:23 AM
JK Newbie

Going back to the comment about about no way a Montero is in the same league as a Defender. Comparing stock to stock the same era.

1. The Montero was more reliable.
2. The Montero could handle 37s stock, with a 2" body lift.
3. The Montero had a Locker.
4. The Montero was water tight.
5. The Montero was better armored.

The Defender had better approach and departure and a solid front axle(but little stock articulation). Thats about all I can think of. Again, you have to get past the cool looks. After all, most kids think H1s look cool
Old 09-28-2007, 05:32 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Lloyd_Swartz
Going back to the comment about about no way a Montero is in the same league as a Defender. Comparing stock to stock the same era.

1. The Montero was more reliable.
2. The Montero could handle 37s stock, with a 2" body lift.
3. The Montero had a Locker.
4. The Montero was water tight.
5. The Montero was better armored.

The Defender had better approach and departure and a solid front axle(but little stock articulation). Thats about all I can think of. Again, you have to get past the cool looks. After all, most kids think H1s look cool
Better armored, what the hell does that mean? Water tight? That has nothing to do with offroad capabilities. "37s stock with a 2" lift?" What about a 2 inch lift to you means that it is still stock? Have you seen the size of the wheel wells in a Defender? Locker? Have you even sat in a Defender? It has one of the best diff lock systems ever built, complete with creeper mode. If you think that some water tight, seven seater, Japanese mall cruiser with a panoramic sunroof and traction control can outperform a Defender, you're clearly off your rocker. Next, you are gonna start comparing a Honda Pilot with a Defender.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

the NAS defenders didn't come with axle lockers wolverine. only a center diff lock. the t-case is full time four wheel drive with the ability to shift to low range in either lock or unlock. the defender is a timeless vehicle/ design. comparing it to a jk or a montero is nonesense.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:18 AM
JK Freak

Just read my post....Wow, i didn't even know i wrote that last night...hehe, i was deff drunk. I don't feel like going back and correcting everything im to lazy right now

Are you really going to compare a Montero to a Wrangler and a D90....Dude, i hope your doing this for your wife
Old 10-02-2007, 09:37 AM
wgr
JK Enthusiast

I have had 3 defenders, first one was 110 Td5 Safari Van, second was 110 Td5 CrewCab and last one 90 Td5. I never had any technical problems with these.
After some modifications great offroading, except this heavy clutch. My knee was sore always after offroad sessions. Now in this new model with ford engine/clutch it is much more improved and lighter to use. At that time it was my only choise as jeeps were with petrol engine only.
Now I have this JK 2.8 CRD Unlimited Automat, and its another world with this one. To make it short, Defender has to come up with something great me to return back. Both are super offroad vehicles with some mods, but as of driving it on daily basis Wrangler is so much easier. Defe is a hard worker and built that way, driver just has to adapt to this.

Quick Reply: JK Rubi vs D90