Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

JK Rubi vs D90

Old 09-27-2007, 05:41 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No offense, but a Montero is no where near being in the same league as a D-90. I know heavily, and I mean heavily modified moteros are used in the Dakar, but you can't even make a comparison.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MJS_Jeep_888
Hmm - guess that makes it all the more impressive that, while heavier, the JK is more capable off-road, generates more power from its smaller-displacement engine, goes faster, looks better, is likely more reliable, and gets better fuel economy.

Had to jump in here and give the JK some praise, because this was turning into a Land Rover praise-a-thon. Let's not forget who the king of off-road is, OK? It's Jeep, plain and simple!
Hmmm I'm sitting here wonder how much of what you just said is utter crap. Power is all relative. You want to have a drag race? More likely reliable hmmm not so sure about that. Lets take the amount of actual US (NAS) D90's sold in the US the 3 years they were here and put that against the numbers of Wrangelrs sold and lets check the percentages of reliablity issues. The nice things about some LR's especially the D90 is anybody can work on them. They are the most simple basic auto on the planet. No computers to deal with. The motor is an old GM design and the axles by far are better than anything DC could put under a Wranger.

You keep thinking that the Jeep is the king of off-road and live in your little bubble cuz you couldn't be farther from the truth.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:22 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by onsafari
Hmmm I'm sitting here wonder how much of what you just said is utter crap. Power is all relative. You want to have a drag race? More likely reliable hmmm not so sure about that. Lets take the amount of actual US (NAS) D90's sold in the US the 3 years they were here and put that against the numbers of Wrangelrs sold and lets check the percentages of reliablity issues. The nice things about some LR's especially the D90 is anybody can work on them. They are the most simple basic auto on the planet. No computers to deal with. The motor is an old GM design and the axles by far are better than anything DC could put under a Wranger.

You keep thinking that the Jeep is the king of off-road and live in your little bubble cuz you couldn't be farther from the truth.
First off, lose your holier-than-thou attitude. Are you trying to claim that LR is better than Jeep at off-roading (which it sounds like you're implying)? You're just plain wrong.

As far as reliability goes, you cite that LR's are "the most simple basic auto" - moreso than a TJ was? Furthermore, who gives a sh*t if you can work on it when it breaks down frequently - it still breaks down frequently! That's not reliable! Hmmm - who's talking utter crap?

Power-wise, Jeep wins. Speed-wise, Jeep wins. Comfort-wise, Jeep wins. Noise-wise, Jeep wins. Heritage-wise, Jeep wins. Off-road capability, Jeep wins. Frequency of breakdowns, Jeep wins. Cost for repairs, Jeep wins.

So, again, who's talking utter crap? I don't know why you choose to use this forum, since every post I've seen from you is anti-forum, or else acting condescending toward the person you respond to... hmmm... If you love LR's so much, then go sell your Jeep, go buy back your D90 or whatever, and then you can go all over LR forums and bitch about that!

Last edited by MJS_Jeep_888; 09-27-2007 at 08:48 AM.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MJS_Jeep_888
First off, lose your holier-than-thou attitude. Are you trying to claim that LR is better than Jeep at off-roading (which it sounds like you're implying)? You're just plain wrong.

As far as reliability goes, you cite that LR's are "the most simple basic auto" - moreso than a TJ was? Furthermore, who gives a sh*t if you can work on it when it breaks down frequently - it still breaks down frequently! That's not reliable! Hmmm - who's talking utter crap?

Power-wise, Jeep wins. Speed-wise, Jeep wins. Comfort-wise, Jeep wins. Noise-wise, Jeep wins. Heritage-wise, Jeep wins. Off-road capability, Jeep wins. Frequency of breakdowns, Jeep wins. Cost for repairs, Jeep wins.

So, again, who's talking utter crap? I don't know why you choose to use this forum, since every post I've seen from you is anti-Jeep... hmmm... sell your Jeep, go buy a D90 or whatever, and then you can go all over LR forums and bitch about that!
Unless you have owned one which I serious freaking doubt then you have no idea what you are talking about. I'm not anti Jeep I OWN BOTH. I'm just tired you you Jeep people thinking that Jeep is by far above and beyond everyone else. That is plain BS my friend. Heritage my ass...maybe in the US but not the world. Frequency of break downs my ass...how many times has your JK been in the dealer since you bought it/ Mine is 6 months old and has been in 4 times. My 94 D90 has seen the shop 6 times in 13 years so hmmm lets see. Cost of repairs Jeep wins huh....OK once again if you don't know about LR then please don't talk about them.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:59 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by AZCA jeeper
Getting wet, being cold - putting on chains... that really sucks. Too bad the CHP doesn't make me put chains on my JK. :toung:

Of course, we are talking about Southern California SNOW... not the Artic Circle.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:28 AM
JK Freak

Things are heating up.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:02 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by onsafari
Unless you have owned one which I serious freaking doubt then you have no idea what you are talking about. I'm not anti Jeep I OWN BOTH. I'm just tired you you Jeep people thinking that Jeep is by far above and beyond everyone else. That is plain BS my friend. Heritage my ass...maybe in the US but not the world. Frequency of break downs my ass...how many times has your JK been in the dealer since you bought it/ Mine is 6 months old and has been in 4 times. My 94 D90 has seen the shop 6 times in 13 years so hmmm lets see. Cost of repairs Jeep wins huh....OK once again if you don't know about LR then please don't talk about them.
OK - let me address your points:

1) Jeep IS better than everyone else when it comes to off-roading. A near-stock Rubicon set a world altitude records earlier this year. Jeeps won WWII (where was Land Rover?). In any case, you're allowed to think what you want, but if you persist in disagreeing, you're welcome to cite some hard evidence to support your claims: Prove me wrong.

2) You asked how many times my JK's been at the dealership since purchase? OK - that one's easy. I took mine home in February, and it's been back ZERO times for any mechanical/electrical/etc issues. I've brought it back once unscheduled, and that was for a loose plastic clip for the soft top!

3) As far as my claim that Jeep beats LR when it comes to price of repairs, again, you can disagree, but why not cite some evidence in support of your claims? You have no less than 4 or 5 people on this very thread that talk about how poor the D90's reliability is, and how expensive dealer service is... by and large, the parts aren't made in the US, and have to be brought overseas. Additionally, as a "prestige" brand, Land Rover's dealerships can get away with charging an arm and a leg for service - do you disagree with any of this? Case made.

If you want to disagree, fine - I'm not trying to make you bow down and worship Jeep. In fact, besides the Wrangler and its forebears, I'm not a fan of Jeep! I won't lie and say that Land Rovers suck, because they don't - neither did the original Toyota Land Cruisers, etc., that are found all over the world... Jeep's just better.

Why is it that when someone wants a capable trail rig, they start with a Wrangler? Furthermore, why is the "wheeling crowd" dominated by Jeeps, and not by Land Rovers, Toyotas, and Hummers? Simple: Because Jeeps' the best at what it does.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:06 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by wolverine_man
Things are heating up.
Not anymore - my debate opponent refrained from personal attacks, as did I - it's still an intellectual argument at this point, and I hope it stays that way. Pass the popcorn - I'm hungry!
Old 09-27-2007, 10:23 AM
JK Freak

I always enjoy a good debate. Looks like this isn't the only forum comparing the two vehicles:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/t485839.html

In all fairness though, we are still comparing a 1994 to a 2007, both stock, of course. Here are the specs on the new one in Europe:

http://www.carpages.ca/go/roadtest/2..._overview.aspx

Wish I could get my lift and tires so that my JK looks a little meaner sittin next to my pop's rig. Damn student loans!

Last edited by wolverine_man; 09-27-2007 at 10:55 AM.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:29 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by wolverine_man
I always enjoy a good debate. Looks like this isn't the only forum comparing the two vehicles:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/t485839.html

In all fairness though, we are still comparing a 1994 to a 2007, both stock, of course.

Wish I could get my lift and tires so that my JK looks a little meaner sittin next to my pop's rig. Damn student loans!
Absolutely - the Jeep has 13 years of refinement on its side. For its day and age, the LR is not bad at all - it's just not as good as the Wrangler: That's what I'm saying.

As far as mods to toughen the look: I agree 100%

Quick Reply: JK Rubi vs D90