Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

JK Rear Cargo / Heated Seat Survey

Old 10-25-2008, 02:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by putnam dan
I'd say with the folding windscreen as it started with the TJ and now with the JK being even harder to fold is already gone. No more flip, push and it's down.

Much as I'd love too I cannot be bothered to put it down on the JK. If it were easier it would be down all the time.
Yeah, I had it down for about 4 days before I had to drive into the city, so I put it back up. The prospect of putting it down again was a tad daunting, so it's now up for good.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:48 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by saltman
Please provide proof about the government requirements regarding electronics. It seems there are many many SUVs that don't have the stupid ESP, etc. that the Wrangler has. I am not saying it's not true it just seems strange that others don't have it. Perhaps it has to do with weight classifications.

The drivetrain is questionably stronger. It had to be since the JK is sooo wide and heavy. It's not like they kept the same dimensions and beefed it up. I've seen just as many problems with U joints, front axles breaking etc, at Tellico.

I disagree regarding the creature comforts. I would have bought a rugged edition that had all that stuff removed. I know many others would as well. It should be optional and not forced.
Regarding the government mandates, they are not abosolute right now, but the ESC will be come 2012, and there is a sliding scale that leads up to that. Side airbags/headprotection are on a similar mandate, though the auto industry has tried to meet a self-imposed deadline of 2009. Go to the NHTSA website for all the proof you need (if you have the time to wade through it all!). Jeep engineered the JK to try to meet all of the coming requirements, otherwise what's the point?

As for the axles, I'll take the axles on the JK even with the modest weight increase any day to those on the slightly lighter TJ, just my opinion. From what I've seen most others also seem to be quite pleased with the stock axles, and the D44s on the Rubi's are really stout. To each their own.

As for creature comforts, you represent a very small number of people who may not care about creature comforts, which is likely disproportionately high on this board being that we are off-road enthusiasts. Like it or not the JK has to be viable as a mainstream vehicle, otherwise it would cease to exist. I love my JK in that it is more comfortable, drive-able on-road and long trips, and yet is still better off-road than my TJ. I don't use A/C much, but did appreciate it driving cross-country last summer in near triple digit heat. I also really appreciate the Infinity stereo . There is nothing stopping you from removing all that extra stuff if it doesn't meet your needs. A/C is still an opt-out option. I wonder how many people actually do?
Old 10-27-2008, 05:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

I found the Sahara was the best combination of comfort and off-road options. I didn't get any of the electronics (see my sig, thats all i ordered it with) and the A/C was not an opt out option with the Sahara but if it was i would have. I agree with everyone else that the wrangler should be as bare or as loaded as I option it out to be. However certain things should be a given such as; removable roof/doors and foldable windshield (although it really is too dificult to bother with)

A lot of people complain about the head rests. Its an 09 requirement.
A lot of people complain about the ESC. It will be a requirement, plus, the 2 door is so short it is very handy on slippery winter roads. Almost lost a CJ over the side of a highway overpass when the back end broke loose going from road to bridge.

Last edited by ibjeepr; 10-27-2008 at 05:36 PM.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:43 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by pearl-drum-man

As for creature comforts, you represent a very small number of people who may not care about creature comforts, which is likely disproportionately high on this board being that we are off-road enthusiasts. Like it or not the JK has to be viable as a mainstream vehicle, otherwise it would cease to exist. :
x2 This is a matter of economics...far greater people buy the jeep cuz it looks cool. It has to sell 100k plus units. Thanks to places like Consumer Reports and JD Powers...it is often compared with more civilized vehicles in the marketplace. When the ratings for comfort, style, astethics, etc. are poor, sales go down
Old 11-01-2008, 04:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Easy enough equation...

Make the creature comforts all optional... if you don't want em' order one or buy one without them.

That being said if you want them order em' or buy one that already has them... they make the Wrangler no less off-road capable.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:50 PM
JK Newbie

I'd like to see some nice options... I love what the JK represents, and I DD a beat up CJ-7, but my wife wants a JK but she's used to the burb and her old WJ, so yeah heated seats would be REALLY NICE (I'm looking at adding them to the CJ (it gets MIGHTY COLD in it, and it's nice to have the top off and have your butt warm) but even things like adjustable peddles would be a benifit (I'm laot taller than my wife, and she has to get really close with the peddles right now. again, make them options, but having some nice extras will help sell more JK's and in this economy any extra JK's sold is a help.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had recently recieved the survey in the mail from jeep enclosed was a dollar for taking my time to fill it out well atleast it got me a drink while i filled it out.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:39 PM
JK Newbie

Whats funny to me is that my wife has also convinced my teen daughter that heated seats are a requirement for any car they drive in. Geez. You know how hard its going to be to find an old "beater" car for her that has heated seats. The greatest part is that neither of them will ask to drive the JK. Now my son...thats another story
Old 11-03-2008, 08:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

I don't think a Jeep should be defined by what it doesn't have. It should be defined by what it CAN DO. A Jeep with a/c, heated seats, electrical outlets, power windows, nav system CAN still be a Jeep. Can it crawl up a 45 degree rock face with the wind blowing in your hair? Can it throw mud higher than your head?

A Jeep is go anywhere, do anything. As long as it retains it's off-road capabilities I say they can add a coffeemaker in the glovebox for all I care. I love coffee!

On the other hand, I also agree that there are certain elements that are uniquely Jeep. Always have been. I will be loath to call anything a Jeep Wrangler that doesn't have removable doors and a removable top.

Just my opinion.

Quick Reply: JK Rear Cargo / Heated Seat Survey