Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

JK is rain ready!

Old 06-17-2008, 09:41 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JK is rain ready!

This is for anyone that was wondering about the JK's susceptibility to water. About a couple weeks ago i had the top down and doors off when I got home from work. I usually check the weather before going to bed so I know whether or not to put my cab cover on. Well, this time I forgot. It must have rained hard overnight because it woke me up in the morning it was so loud. I ran outside with some towels and my girlfriend for assistance. Luckily the drain plugs were already pulled so I didnt have to go swimming. Anyway, somehow the seats didn't get soggy. All they needed was a wipe down from the towels after I put the top up. All the electronics are working fine to this day. The speakers are all somewhat protected from the elements by where they are positioned. Minus a completely soggy carpet and all my storage bins between the seats being filled with water, everything was completely fine. Of course I wouldn't push it because by all means the electronics are not waterproof, but this thing can definitely take a dumb mistake or two when it comes to rain and be fine.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

My jk got rained out twice, once driving and the other time sitting. no doors or top. Last time was a few weeks ago and everything is working fine.

Just keep an eye on it

I see in your signature Doorless all summer.... Are you really keeping the doors off ALL summer?
Old 06-17-2008, 09:58 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by bodybrdng
I see in your signature Doorless all summer.... Are you really keeping the doors off ALL summer?

Sure am. It's already been over three weeks and its been fine. If I didn't have the bestop cab cover that covers the door openings too than the Jeep would be in trouble. I usually just cover it up when I get to work if it's supposed to rain that day. And if its raining when I leave I just put the top up to cover my head. This has only happened to me once and I stayed dry the whole ride home, minus the mist and stuff coming up from the road which was actually sorta nice since it wasn't enough to dampen the clothes or get anything wet really. Granted it wasn't a monsoon or anything. After feeling the freedom of having them off I just have no desire to go back to being trapped behind the full doors. Maybe there's half doors somewhere in my future.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I'm H2O ready, even though I've got the top off.
We run the summer with the top off, however when there are signs of inclament weather, I install the bikini, windjammer, and trailduster, which we now have on, as it looks like we're going to get severe T-Showers tonight.
To clinch the deal, we'll install the Mopar trail cover before any singns of rain, or before we go to bed.
I think we're set.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Semi888
Sure am. It's already been over three weeks and its been fine. If I didn't have the bestop cab cover that covers the door openings too than the Jeep would be in trouble. I usually just cover it up when I get to work if it's supposed to rain that day. And if its raining when I leave I just put the top up to cover my head. This has only happened to me once and I stayed dry the whole ride home, minus the mist and stuff coming up from the road which was actually sorta nice since it wasn't enough to dampen the clothes or get anything wet really. Granted it wasn't a monsoon or anything. After feeling the freedom of having them off I just have no desire to go back to being trapped behind the full doors. Maybe there's half doors somewhere in my future.
I understand you have the soft top up when it rain. Do you use a trail cover or no when it rains?

You have inspired me.. Only thing is I don't have a trail cover. Guess it's time to pull all the carpet out and keep the doors off.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:50 AM
JK Super Freak

I have a tear of joy
I am joining the club right when i get home.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:09 AM
JK Newbie

I understand you have the soft top up when it rain. Do you use a trail cover or no when it rains?
The problem with my trail cover is that it only fits when the top is down. So, I use the trailcover when it's parked, and then quickly take it off and throw up the softtop when I gotta drive her. But, I believe they do make ones that fit over the softop (mopar maybe). I have the bestop one and it works great other than that one complaint. Plus it was only around $130 i believe.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:12 AM
JK Newbie

Oh yeah, and the process only takes about 5 mins once you get the hang of it.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:15 AM
JK Super Freak

I am going to take the plunge and go doorless with NO trail cover just the soft top up....WHY NOT

DO you leave you soft windows in or no?
Old 06-17-2008, 11:22 AM
JK Newbie

DO you leave you soft windows in or no?
Those came out months ago!

Quick Reply: JK is rain ready!