Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

JK options you couldn't live without?

Old 05-04-2007, 06:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GMAN
Funny, my wife is the one who insisted we get the 17" wheels over the 16" & of course she had to have air.
Marry that women.........oh yeah, you already did.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:25 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Personal preference

You'll get it all.

Personally, the Rubi I have has everything but the mygig - only because I prefer the Garmin unit I have.

Could we live without all of it - sure and it would still be a blast. However, it wasn't what we wanted. The side air bags I wanted because I often have the kids in the vehicle and wanted the extra safety even if it never gets used (hopefully). The power options are also nice because of having kids and pets. The dark tint was a necessity here in AZ. The dual tops - well, the first day we got her the hard top came off and is collecting dust until probably December or January when the monsoons start). Our soft top only goes up in the rain, dust storms, and during towing - so pretty much stays in the boot most of its life too.

The rubi has the lockers, sway bar disconnect, etc and although it has seen some interesting areas - I haven't seen the need to use them - yet. But I sure will like it when I get into something where I need them.

Locking gas cap - ok. Floor mats - a big no! Get the mopar tire ones or look at the huskies depending on what you'd need.

Bottom line - it is all personal choice based upon how you expect to use it.

Personally - I like them all. May have even gone mygig if the delay wasn't there to begin with.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Options

When I set out to buy my first jeep I had a few thing I had to have or I wasnt getting one. Though I had never had one I have had many friends that have and they regrested a few things. I had to have a 6 Cyl. Though when started looking I didnt know that was the only option, a 6 Cyl was a must. Next was a hard top. Many jeeps before had noisy soft tops and didnt have much insulation durring winter. Then manual tranny. I wanted to get the most power out of my jeep as possible. To me it seems stronger with a manual tranny. My truck before the jeep was a 5 Cyl colorado with a 5 speed and boy was I glad I got a manual. I drove a couple automatics and thought they were gutless. Last was low gears. I new when buying a jeep I was going to lift it and get bigger tires. I wanted there to be enough gear that I would be ok for a while without having to replace gears right off the bat. In conclusion these things were a must for me. Oh and cant forget "4WD".

#1 6Cyl
#2 Manual Tranny
#3 Hard Top
#4 Gears

And thats what I got.

2007 Steel Blue 2 Door X 6Cyl 6 Speed with 4.10 gears and a hard top. 4WD of course.

Addes extras was infinty system w/6disk and sirius, tow package, outside temp, track lock diff

Last edited by SteelBlue07; 05-04-2007 at 06:47 AM.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by doojer
Well, the Rubicon comes pretty loaded, so you're starting off with some great off-road options. I really like the 6-disc DVD changer. You can fill DVD-r's with tons and tons of .mp3s and scroll through them on the head unit. I'd go with that over the single disc or MyGig. I'd also opt for the sunrider soft-top over the standard easy-fold soft-top so you can do the "sunroof" thing (I too went soft-top only and couldn't be happier).

Honestly, the one option I really couldn't live without are the power locks and windows... but if you are 110% sure I won't try to convince you otherwise.

As far as ordering goes, just make sure you have a lot of patience... it may be a while before you actually get to drive your Rubi home. But it will be well worth the wait!

Thanks for the opinon, may look into spend a few extra on a 6-disc unit, I like my tunes Sunrider, I may look into it if its not way overpriced compared to the regular top.

Yeah my doors will be off often and don't need the hassle of elecrical lgremlins later on.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:39 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I purchased one with the A/C for the better half. Personally, i didnt want it.
I opted for the Automatic; again for the better half. Didnt want that either.

anything I can't live without? no, not really. any Jeep is better than no Jeep.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AZToad
You'll get it all.

Personally, the Rubi I have has everything but the mygig - only because I prefer the Garmin unit I have.

Could we live without all of it - sure and it would still be a blast. However, it wasn't what we wanted. The side air bags I wanted because I often have the kids in the vehicle and wanted the extra safety even if it never gets used (hopefully). The power options are also nice because of having kids and pets. The dark tint was a necessity here in AZ. The dual tops - well, the first day we got her the hard top came off and is collecting dust until probably December or January when the monsoons start). Our soft top only goes up in the rain, dust storms, and during towing - so pretty much stays in the boot most of its life too.

The rubi has the lockers, sway bar disconnect, etc and although it has seen some interesting areas - I haven't seen the need to use them - yet. But I sure will like it when I get into something where I need them.

Locking gas cap - ok. Floor mats - a big no! Get the mopar tire ones or look at the huskies depending on what you'd need.

Bottom line - it is all personal choice based upon how you expect to use it.

Personally - I like them all. May have even gone mygig if the delay wasn't there to begin with.
I agree, I am single with no kids and will wheel this Jeep often and right off the lot. So my needs are a bit different from many, wheel lack there of. I just didn't know (for the $$$) someone thought "Man I am so happy I got the option" you know.

Yeah I'll be get Husky liners and a locking gas cap is gonna be thrown in since its extra security from some idiot one day @ $15. I will be replacing the bumpers and running no fenders also.

Last edited by ZachMan; 05-04-2007 at 06:45 AM.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:42 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

DVD changer???? that is so old school....Just get an ipod and plug it in!!!!
Old 05-04-2007, 06:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon

So true...I need the slush box for offroading, I have to concentrate and wheeling an XJ for so long I'd suck with a manual, lol.

My issue is selling a nicely built Jeep for a stocker and doing it all over again
Old 05-04-2007, 06:45 AM
JK Super Freak

My wife wanted the A/C and the six speed. (She is a little hot rodder and loves to grab them gears.) I'm a manual type too.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:48 AM
JK Freak

Default AC

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon

I know this will sound terrible but yesterday in the 95 degrees - I had the top down and the AC blasting - and it was a blast!!

Forgot to mention - auto vs 6 speed - my wife and folks talked me into changing mine to an auto due to knee problems. Unfortunately (?) for me - the surgery was very successful and I really wanted to change back but again the delay was a killer.

So far - no problems with the auto and considering some of the traffic and the amount of coffee I drink - maybe it was a good thing!

Quick Reply: JK options you couldn't live without?