Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

JK or JKU? 2011 or 2012?

Old 04-01-2011, 12:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default JK or JKU? 2011 or 2012?

For those of you who read my post in the registry I'm not currently a Jeep owner but have had the pleasure of driving a JK and JKU, both rubis, for work. I've become obsessed with the abilities of the vehicle and will be purchasing one later this year. I am now wavering on which one (JK or JKU) I should buy as I dont want to regret my descision later so that why I come to the folks of this forum. Most people here have alot more time behind the wheel of Jeeps than myself and I'm asking for opinions (both pros and cons) of each. First off I plan to mod the hell out of it and drive it hard off road not as my DD. Although I may drive it around town occasionally to show it off.... I was originally leaning toward the 2 door but lately I've got more time in the 4 door and have really enjoyed the extra room. The two big differences I have noticed are the obvious, the turning radius and break over angle of the JKU are not as tight as the JK but that hasnt seemed to make it any less capable. Thats why I am now undecided. If you could, please list some of the benefits and downsides of each and hopefully that will aid me in making my descision..haha. Also I would be purchasing this later this year and am now debating on waiting for the 2012 or getting a 2011. I know the 2012 is going to have the new power plant and some other design features but it makes me a bit leary because its the first year with these changes. A little insight here would also be much appreciated. I'm prepared to be broke once I become an owner so the initial investment is key..haha. Thanks in advance for your help and I'm looking forward to being able to join you on the trail later this year.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:17 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I originally bought a 2dr JK, which was replaced with a 4dr Jk. I was very skeptical about the abilities of a longer wheel base, until I watched the videos from the Project JK folks. Just click the link above that says videos and let your Jaw hit the ground. You will also notice over 75% of them are rocking the JKUs.

I liked the switch because I am a big outdoors guy, I love camping, hiking, fishing, hunting and of course 4 Wheeling. So, the extra room is awesome, plus I have two Labs, a Black Lab and a Yellow Lab, and they love riding in the vehicle. Plus I take them and my boys everywhere, mainly camping. So, it really paid off. I don't think you will be disappointed at all.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:27 PM
JK Newbie

Oh, one more thing my JK is a 2010, I just bought it. Always buy a vehicle in Feb. if you can. Reason being, if you buy a 2011 in Feb. of 2012 they end up adding a lot more discounts to push them of the lot.

I bought mine in Feb of 2012 and they added an additional 3,500 discount. My Uncle works for a dealer and told me that secret a long time ago.

Also, I am with you I really don't mind the 3.8L. I did not buy the Jeep to break any speed records; I bought it for its off-road capability. I know everyone complains about the motor, but does it do what it needs to off-road? Sure I wish they would have stuck with the in-line 6 258. Probably the best motor they ever had, that is why they discontinued them, because no one was replacing them.

My 1974 CJ-5 has the straight six 258 with 273, 862 miles on it and it still runs like a champ.

If people want more power wait until 2013 or 2014, Wranglers are going to get a Hemi, here is the article:
http://editorial.autos.msn.com/artic...mentid=1183497
Old 04-01-2011, 12:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

I too am very outdoorsy and that was my exact reasoning for looking into the JKU. I have seen the videos and was also blown away. It also seems that the longer wheel base helps in certain situations as pointed out in Part 4 of their Moab trip. But I have seen other videos on you tube and such that show sililar situations. Any thoughts on 2011 or 2012?
Old 04-01-2011, 12:30 PM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are going to use it for daily driver/camping/weekend trips or something where you need the room then 4 door.

Otherwise I'd go with the 2 door for the size off road. And since you plan on modding it heavily have you thought of getting a cheaper X and upgrading everything on your own? (I don't have the cash to do this option so I went Rubi to finance the upgrades)
Old 04-01-2011, 12:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ha you replied while I was typing mine. Thanks for the info. My father-in-law has an in with a local dealer and got me a great deal on my truck 5 years ago so I'm hoping he'll be able to do the same when it comes time to purchase my Jeep.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:32 PM
JK Newbie

2012, its almost here. You can get what you want plus more power.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EzK
If you are going to use it for daily driver/camping/weekend trips or something where you need the room then 4 door.

Otherwise I'd go with the 2 door for the size off road. And since you plan on modding it heavily have you thought of getting a cheaper X and upgrading everything on your own? (I don't have the cash to do this option so I went Rubi to finance the upgrades)
Yeah I have looked into it but I like the upgrades you get on the Rubi as I don't plan to upgrade the axles, just gearing right now..haha. And having lockers and sway bar disco out of the box is a nice feature.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:36 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by jesse0920
... First off I plan to mod the hell out of it and drive it hard off road not as my DD. Although I may drive it around town occasionally to show it off...
If by off-road you mean rock crawling, then two door. If your plans include expedition/overland travel, then you'll appreciate the space a four door offers.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

I plan on pretty much doing anything I can off road with it. Everything from mundain bumpy fire roads to patience and equipment testing trails similar to the rubicon trail. I plan on putting a 3-4" long arm lift with at least 35's on it.

Quick Reply: JK or JKU? 2011 or 2012?