Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

JK Fears

Old 02-22-2011, 09:26 AM
DJR
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JK Fears

Hi All,

I have owned a YJ, TJ and bought a JK when they first came out in Feb of '07 (which I'm thinking is the big mistake here). YJ and TJ were both great and I have to say I love the JK, but I have a lemon. Since about 20K miles I have had ongoing issues with the clutch / transmission to the point where I Lemon Lawed Chrysler and won. 85K miles on the JK now and I was hoping to get 130K + but transmissionis once again acting up (can't get it into 5th gear). I plan on selling and buying a new JK and I just need to hear that SOME people out there don't have issues with their manual. I really don't want an auto transmission, but I cringe when I think of all the issues on my '07.

TOB replaced twice
clutch replaced
transmission work
gas tank overflow issue
JOG issue with shifter
the only thing I didn't have was leaky top and death wobble!

In addition, I now have to "un-mod" my jeep the best I can so I don't have to buy all new items. Pain in the....

DJR
Old 02-22-2011, 09:36 AM
JK Junkie

I bought one of the first 07's available in Canada, and had none of the problems you listed except the jump out gear issue. Mine rarely does it, only in first gear, my jeep got flagged by a Jeep dealer that closed shop 2 yrs ago, and its screwed me since, so I am not covered for this issue.

I guess you had a lemon there, but I wouldnt hesitate to get another 6spd. I would be too dispappointed with the performance of an auto, but thats just me. IMO You should try and wait for the 2012's to come out before you unload your JK.

Hope your luck changes with your next JK
Old 02-22-2011, 09:44 AM
JK Super Freak

The TJ's were also prone to the throwout bearing problem.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:11 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Bought my '07 in February of that year. Just turned 70K miles. Only warranty repair I ever had was a small leak on the rear window of the hardtop--Jeep replaced the seal and it's been fine since (for as little as that top gets used!). For the first couple 10K miles my clutch chirped a little, but I ignored it and it went away--absolutely did not trust the Jeep mechanics to work on my clutch. I also don't have rusty hinges. Softop doesn't leak, but I bought it from another forum member a year after buying the Jeep. No DW, despite both a 2.5" RC BB, then a 2.5" TF coil lift. Shocks went out rather quickly, but they were after-market. Bunged up a SS--most likely while playing on the rocks. Replaced it with a much heavier TF. All-in-all, I've been very pleased with my Jeep's reliability.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:19 AM
JK Junkie

Had the squeky clutch issue early on, got it replaced and no problems since. I also get the pop out of first issue, but I've found if I take it out of gear then back into gear while stopped that is helps prevent the issue. It's annoying for sure, but I'm fortunately covered under the lifetime warranty, plus I have the lifetime extended warranty for pretty much everything that if it does break something, I'm covered.

I just passed 60K miles
Old 02-22-2011, 11:46 AM
JK Super Freak

82000km here on a 6 speed 2007 JK Unlimited. Clutch and transmission are fine.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:50 AM
JK Freak

Got my '07 in Sep '06... engine and transmission are good (though underpowered... is that lemon )

Only warranty work I've done is get a new gas tank. Clutch is still good from original (now at about 60k miles)

From the sounds of the replies to this post, you would still be good with an '07, if nothing more than a different one than you have.

Hope it all works out for you though!
Old 02-22-2011, 12:01 PM
JK Freak

Feel your pain. I had an 09 manual, and had nothing but clutch and tranny problems from the day I owned it. Kept it one year and let someone else worry about it. Have a 2011 auto and love it.

Quick Reply: JK Fears