Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

JK-the End,or the Beginning?

Old 02-09-2011, 08:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Post Exactly

Originally Posted by islandboy
For whoever is making Jeeps to market 'World Market' versions, that appeal to people who actually use their Jeeps.

This would include:

Domestic market versions for offroading, overlanding, camping, farm use, etc.
World market versions (diesel, stripped, lockable diffs, etc.) for overlanding, exploring, etc.

Having multiple engines and drivertrain options wouild allow the JK to go after markets dominated by the Landrover Defender and LandCruiser vehicles today.

Stripped down for offroad use, optioned up for luxury/light uses by families, etc.

Diesel engines would make it marketable in Europe, Africa, Asia, Australia, South America, etc. Lockable diffs would make it more expedition capable. Simple makes it easy to repair in the bush.

Luxuried up would allow it to sell in Europe, US, etc., where people like A/C, Power windows, automatic tranny's, etc.

A win-win in my opinion!

Probably pretty cheap to do, too - the JK is a blank canvas, as someone put it. Both for the auto manufacturer, and the purchaser/outfitter...
Now if Chrysler/Fiat reads this, and pays attention, maybe we'll get the "Third World" version here in the USA. Perhaps a poll of actual production offerings and pricing to estimate the "virtual market" Better,yes?
Old 02-09-2011, 08:59 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am pretty close with mine.

Unlimited X, no air, no power locks or windows, no hard top but I do have carpet and 17" alloys.

My thought is to keep this (once it's paid), and get a new daily driver. I didn't want all these things failing in years to come.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They need to take all the extra's out and sell a base model with D44's front and rear, 5.13's, and lockers, and a bigger engine (Diesel????) If you take out the electronic sway bar disconnects (Can be done manually) and a few other things they could probably sell a monster jeep like that for close to the same price as the sport's,
Old 02-09-2011, 01:37 PM
him
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ryan_d99
They need to take all the extra's out and sell a base model with D44's front and rear, 5.13's, and lockers, and a bigger engine (Diesel????) If you take out the electronic sway bar disconnects (Can be done manually) and a few other things they could probably sell a monster jeep like that for close to the same price as the sport's,
The problem is that it's legally a car must follow all the federal safety standards, plus it cuts into the CAFE fleet MPG allotments and so on.

It's a heavily regulated industry. At some point you've got to either build what you want yourself or get into something else like XUVs, boats, airplanes, etc., 'cause the law ain't written with your ability to pursue happiness in mind.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried really hard, honest I did. I was unable to order a Rubicon in Canada with out p/l p/w a/c cruise and a bunch of other bs. The Rubicon here is a package deal end of story. I like my jeep but I would have a hard time to get another one, Jeep has lost their branding by going with all that fancy shit on a wrangler. Oh well maybe just maybe we can get the defender again, and with a DIESEL!
Old 02-09-2011, 02:02 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I bought mine, I got the base model. No power windows or doors, stock 16" steelies and the crappy wrangler a/t's. Soft top and totally stripped. Did this bc I was going to strip it anyway and build it with REAL parts, not chryslers. I know that down here the dealerships are starting to take models they have on the lot and adding aftermarket bumpers and lifts and re selling them like a package. Jeep should just offer their own base model, build it yourself model. They know there's a market for it.....
Old 02-09-2011, 02:35 PM
JK Newbie

Also if they made it exactly like you want, that would put all those poor aftermarket guys out of work. That's un American

Actually I went for the "as stripped down as possible" way also.Did get the hard top and AC. It's not the carpet n cupholder add ons but all the electronic doodads ie... traction control, cruise control, back up sensors, seat warmers, fancy expensive keys, rear wiper that blocks my view ( don't even get me going on OnStar crap. I know not a Jeep option...yet That's one big reason I left Chevy...and yes I know I sound borderline conspiracy nut with that one) and so forth. All this stuff is just more sh...stuff that will break and you can't fix most of it. it needs to go to Best Buy, not a mechanic. I like the idea of a vehicle that will just get me where I want to go, with or without those pesky roads. V8 or diesel sounds good too.

side note
grammar nazies ?? really hey pobodys nerfect
Old 02-24-2011, 08:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

I agree and disagree. I do think they should have a stripped down version so consumers can build rock crawlers and rigs for hunting, especially if that will be their only use.
A stripped down version will also allow younger less finacially sound drivers to get introduced to the Jeep lifestyle.
However, my 08' Sahara was a compromise of my wife wanting a nice SUV and me wanting an off road vehicle.
I had a Chevy Colorado that my wife stole to deliver mail in and I sold my motorcycle and bought a 93 YJ plus I have a work truck. I didn't want to buy her an SUV and have 4 vehicles in the driveway so I sold the YJ and got the JK for the both of us. A nice SUV for her and a rugged trail rig for me.
Although I was happy with my Stripped YJ, I do enjoy having a nice sound system with DVD Nav, AC, and Power Windows.
I don't wheel that hard but do get in the Mud when hunting and do have to fire up the winch now and then but all in all I think they should keep several trim levels for multiple buyers and uses. Maybe even do a "Fleet" version that has no options.

Quick Reply: JK-the End,or the Beginning?