Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

JK-the End,or the Beginning?

Old 02-08-2011, 05:10 PM
him
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just don't see the market for a 15mpg econobox. The Sports are already pretty cheap all things considered.

I can see a market for J8 in the US. If they sold that at any sort of reasonable price (within $10k or so of a gasoline Rubicon) I know there are people who would line up to buy 'em. In fact, if they'd had them back in November of last year I would've gone that route just for kicks.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I support a stripped down third world.

I think I base model, a real base model, is a good idea too.

But don't forget that people buying sweet 16 gifts of rubicons are actually keeping our brand alive. Dont bite the hand that feeds....
Old 02-08-2011, 09:53 PM
JK Freak

Jeep people are a world unto themselves. Seriously.

It has been a little while since I was actively looking at cars, and always biased towards jeep it was slanted, but Wranglers are IMHO the most stripped out and lacking creature comfort vehicle that you can currently buy in the United States. I love that while Consumer Reports or JD Power or whatever will blast the Wrangler for its "absolute lack of refinement" the Jeep lovers will blast it as a "overly refined minivan". LOL What a separation. The X or Sport is the most stripped down and basic vehicle there is. And jeep guys complain that it has carpet. LOL.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:36 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Four Low
Thank you for actually addressing the issue,which was JKs Not my typing skills,or lack thereof.
I would have attempted to address the issue in my response--if I could understand what you wrote. It just runs onandonandonandonandon--maybe I just read too fast.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs down Air

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
I would have attempted to address the issue in my response--if I could understand what you wrote. It just runs onandonandonandonandon--maybe I just read too fast.
Now I understand why your post count is so high-you don't actually say anything worthwhile. Perhaps this will resonate-"engage brain before operating mouth" Slow down the read,speed up the brain, or are you exercising your Troll persona?

Last edited by Four Low; 02-09-2011 at 06:46 AM.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:16 AM
him
JK Enthusiast

You post using an unusual style, one guaranteed to annoy a lot of people. One of those annoyed people comments. This surprises you why exactly?

I didn't comment on the style before. People sometimes run afoul of the 'ALL CAPS IS SHOUTING' convention due to accessibility (speech recognition, eye tracking, etc) input systems that default to all caps. I figured you were dealing with something like that. However, if that's the case, why even acknowledge it when someone complains?

My basic reaction at this point is to say this: The "I'm so cheap I wont even buy a new keyboard after the space bar breaks" look is so 2009. Consumer confidence is supposed to on the up. Things are supposed to be looking bright. Spring the $9.99 for a new keyboard. Please.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:23 AM
JK Newbie

Default It would be nice

For whoever is making Jeeps to market 'World Market' versions, that appeal to people who actually use their Jeeps.

This would include:

Domestic market versions for offroading, overlanding, camping, farm use, etc.
World market versions (diesel, stripped, lockable diffs, etc.) for overlanding, exploring, etc.

Having multiple engines and drivertrain options wouild allow the JK to go after markets dominated by the Landrover Defender and LandCruiser vehicles today.

Stripped down for offroad use, optioned up for luxury/light uses by families, etc.

Diesel engines would make it marketable in Europe, Africa, Asia, Australia, South America, etc. Lockable diffs would make it more expedition capable. Simple makes it easy to repair in the bush.

Luxuried up would allow it to sell in Europe, US, etc., where people like A/C, Power windows, automatic tranny's, etc.

A win-win in my opinion!

Probably pretty cheap to do, too - the JK is a blank canvas, as someone put it. Both for the auto manufacturer, and the purchaser/outfitter...
Old 02-09-2011, 07:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Old 02-09-2011, 07:56 AM
him
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by islandboy
For whoever is making Jeeps to market 'World Market' versions, that appeal to people who actually use their Jeeps.

This would include:

Domestic market versions for offroading, overlanding, camping, farm use, etc.
World market versions (diesel, stripped, lockable diffs, etc.) for overlanding, exploring, etc.

Having multiple engines and drivertrain options wouild allow the JK to go after markets dominated by the Landrover Defender and LandCruiser vehicles today.

Stripped down for offroad use, optioned up for luxury/light uses by families, etc.

Diesel engines would make it marketable in Europe, Africa, Asia, Australia, South America, etc. Lockable diffs would make it more expedition capable. Simple makes it easy to repair in the bush.

Luxuried up would allow it to sell in Europe, US, etc., where people like A/C, Power windows, automatic tranny's, etc.
Something like this is done today by truck and van makers. You can buy a fully loaded pickup truck that might as well be a luxury car or drivable vehicle with a bare frame behind the cab and no comfort features at all. There is a market for that because pickup trucks are modular. The cab, bed, frame, etc. are separate. You can mix and match different length/type cabs, cargo boxes, beds, frames, etc. The JK is a far more integrated vehicle. To make a JKU ambulance, for example, you would need to cut and weld. Much easier to just bolt on different parts.

I just don't see a market for all the different options in a JK form. It would be cool, but most people just want a vehicle to get back and forth to work, to the grocery store...something they are proud of, yes, but pride of ownership not pride of building.

A military form J8 would've parted more money from me just 'cause I'm weird.
A diesel JK(u) would've hit my pocketbook too 'cause I like diesels.

Not much else really really would've done it though.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

'I tried to get as close to the "third world" version you described when purchasing mine. I personally want to add only the things I want/need to my Jeep without all the bells and whistles. I bought my Jeep for the history involved in the vehicle and the do it yourself nature that surrounds them. Jeeps of old brought our military to all corners of the world. Many thought to be untouchable by vehicle. Jeeps changed everything I want to continue the go any-where tradition. I don't understand why people by Jeeps, lower them and put 20" wheels and low profile tires on them. But on the same page it goes along with the make it yours mentality that all Jeepers share.

Furthermore, Chrysler is doing anything and everything they can to stay in business right now. I guess them making "tricked-out" Jeeps is better then making to Jeeps at all.

Quick Reply: JK-the End,or the Beginning?