Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

JK Door Theft

Old 01-24-2007, 09:10 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JK Door Theft

My salesman informed me that it would be a good idea to get door locks. I looked at him sort of funny and said "it comes with door locks right?" He said not the normal door locks but the ones that prevent the whole door from being stolen. Seems like someone was stealing JK doors in our area from the dealers and selling the on ebay. He also told me it was about 5 grand to get them replaced. I don't know if it's needed or he was just trying to sell them. He said the cops found the culprit and he had 20 sets of doors.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Thunderflight
My salesman informed me that it would be a good idea to get door locks. I looked at him sort of funny and said "it comes with door locks right?" He said not the normal door locks but the ones that prevent the whole door from being stolen. Seems like someone was stealing JK doors in our area from the dealers and selling the on ebay. He also told me it was about 5 grand to get them replaced. I don't know if it's needed or he was just trying to sell them. He said the cops found the culprit and he had 20 sets of doors.
I've had many Jeep's and the best thing I feel you can do to cover most scenario's is have a good alarm with a hood lock and the loudest frickin siren they make. With this leave your door's unlocked and don't leave anything worth stealing in plain sight. The alarm I buy is a two way so even if you can't hear the alarm it sends a signal to your key fob almost like a pager. They have excellent range. Not many thieves will stay next to a blearing alarm. This is just my opinion.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Default Alarm

Originally Posted by Rubidon
I've had many Jeep's and the best thing I feel you can do to cover most scenario's is have a good alarm with a hood lock and the loudest frickin siren they make. With this leave your door's unlocked and don't leave anything worth stealing in plain sight. The alarm I buy is a two way so even if you can't hear the alarm it sends a signal to your key fob almost like a pager. They have excellent range. Not many thieves will stay next to a blearing alarm. This is just my opinion.
Rubidon,
What type of alarm do you have? This will save me research.
What do you think about winches walking or am I being paranoid? (I was thinking of spot welding the bolts.)
Thanks.
Take care.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Trail Bud
Rubidon,
What type of alarm do you have? This will save me research.
What do you think about winches walking or am I being paranoid? (I was thinking of spot welding the bolts.)
Thanks.
Take care.
The alarm I got was Audiopage. It is also a remote start. I don't remember the name of the hood lock , it was nothing special. As for the winch weldings a pretty good idea........can't be to careful. The hood lock I did get uses a alarm type key that is located in the passenger compartment. It works with a cable, pulls out to release and is not visible from out side the Jeep.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Rubidon
The alarm I got was Audiopage. It is also a remote start. I don't remember the name of the hood lock , it was nothing special. As for the winch weldings a pretty good idea........can't be to careful. The hood lock I did get uses a alarm type key that is located in the passenger compartment. It works with a cable, pulls out to release and is not visible from out side the Jeep.
Thanks for the info. This is very helpful.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Thunderflight
I find this kind of hard to believe...

This is a real problem with the TJ since there are a lot of them out there and lots of people with full doors want half door and people with half door want full doors.

But with the JK you can pretty much only get full doors so far... not many half doors to steal. And based on the number of JK out in the world, I really doubt one thief has stolen 20 sets of doors. I'd be surprised if any one person in the wild has even SEEN 20 different JKs.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:30 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the Jeep is locked, how do they steal the doors without breaking them?
Old 01-24-2007, 04:39 PM
JK Freak

Boy........i'ed love to catch some SOB taken the doors off my jeep. Save me the trouble of buying dog food for a couple a weeks....................
Old 01-24-2007, 06:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by clubber
Boy........i'ed love to catch some SOB taken the doors off my jeep. Save me the trouble of buying dog food for a couple a weeks....................

HELL YEA !!!!!!!
Old 01-25-2007, 01:22 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's why I have insurance. I don't think the door locks are that expensive though. Just a couple of nuts with a special wrench. Sort of like a wheel lock.
It might ease your mind. Alot of guys take their nuts off and never put them back on. These are mostly married guys! Heck, come to think of it, I might be one of them.

Quick Reply: JK Door Theft