Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

JK Diesels

Old 10-30-2007, 11:58 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys,

Picked up my Unlimited diesel 10 days ago 2.8 automatic

didn't take it off road yet but that will be this weekend.

Didn't take it to the max speed so far but i was able to reach 140 km/90 miles on the highway

consumption around 10 liters per 100 km /appr 23 miles to the gallon

Did drive the Liberty diesel for 5 years both on and off road, loved the car
despite all the comments I got ( soccer rmoms car etc etc)

Keep you posted !

Freek
Old 10-31-2007, 12:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HULKGREEN
I spoke with Dan at Burnsville at length about this topic ....

His reply was " the diesel in the Liberty is too scarce to find to be practical" and He said he bought a Grand Cherokee Diesel so he could take the motor to put into his JK and ..." It ended up being a very difficult swap cause you have to use most of the Grands electronics....ie the entire dash cluster and wiring had to be modified to fit into the JK...:"
Perhaps a non-electronic diesel motor from a late 90's Dodge Ram would be a better candidate for a swap?

I wonder how much it would cost to get a European specification diesel JK through the NHTSA tests using an official Registered Importer. As far as I know, the rules on motors require the type to already be federally approved in another vehicle. I reckon that anyone wishing to undertake this route would be able to make a pretty good case that the European JK 2.8 CRD is an improved version of the federally approved Liberty diesel. It should test with lower emissions on ULSD.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/...list010807.htm

Making sure you can refuel it entirely on ULSD may be a problem. I don't know how widespread the move to ULSD is in the USA.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

I got a price estimate from a NHTSA Registered Importer for the cost of legally bringing in a European specification JK diesel. In total, the importer believes it will cost $14K-$16K, this includes $1500 petition fee, $3800 DOT & EPA test for diesel, USEPA levy of 1% of value of vehicle, sea freight.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:10 PM
JK Newbie

I hear the Cummins will probably be built in China(suprise suprise).
I will stick to my 2.8 VM it gets along just fine.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:56 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AEV just started a forum, and there were some questions regarding a diesel swap, and their comment was that they were not going to do it, but it looks good for 2009 model year to have a diesel. I know it is not a for sure thing, but with all of the work they do on the skinwerks side, and there close relationship I am very optomistic.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:25 AM
Zee
JK Freak

If Jeep confirms a diesel for '09, I will definitely wait. However, I can bet it will not be confirmed until the day after I take delivery.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am in the same boat, I want the diesel but I do not want to wait for a rumor to become fact. I am thinking that I will keep my rubi on order, drive it as planned when it arrives, then sell it if and when the diesel becomes reality and is orderable.

Even if Jeep confirms today that a CRD will be an '09 option, it will not be orderable until June or later, and then if historic trends continue, you are looking at 4-7 months before you get the new CRD Rubi.

That being said, the trend looks good. According to Mike's Totally Free Jeep News, Jeep is now offering the 3.0 CRD in the Laredo package on the Grand Cherokee.

http://www.jeepnewsnow.com/modules/n...p?storyid=2132
Old 11-12-2007, 11:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Left Hand drive diesel Unlimited Rubicons are being built for sale in Belgium now. I have been trying to find the specific US regulation that the European diesel JK motor is claimed not to satisfy instead of just taking it as gospel from a PR person.

I found this http://www.dieselnet.com/standards/us/ca_diesel.php

I am going to try and find the European type approval test data. I bet it just comes down to the warranty commitment for new US motors and not the emissions.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

At 1835 Kg unladen weight I reckon the 4-door diesel fits into the N1 Class III Euro 4 test for vehicles (including passenger cars) over 1760 Kg.

The European OBD threshold limits are as follows for N1 Class III Euro 4 diesel motors in g/km.

CO = 4.8
HC = 0.6
NOx = 1.9
PM = 0.28

I just need to find the matching class for the 2007 US OBD diesel threshold limits to compare.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:54 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Vince
Assuming the following for the manual diesel JK:-

NVG 231 transfercase in the diesel JK is rated at 2556 Nm
1st gear ratio is 4.46:1
The Diesel JK peak engine torque is 409 Nm

The transfercase would be seeing at worst 409 Nm x 4.46 = 1825 Nm input torque.

Working backwards, the transfercase could handle an engine delivering 2556 Nm / 4.46 = 573 Nm output torque.

I reckon the stock transfercase has enough guts to deal with a 40% increase in engine torque. But I don't know if the rest of the driveline could. Maybe some of the diesels didn't have a D44 rear axle?
That's only assuming a 1:1 ratio. ( I see you're only referring to input torque, but also consider output torque )

What happens when you shift into 4-Low and multiply the torque output by the low range ratio?

Stuff breaks. That's what happens. Especially with larger tires.

We'll be very, very lucky to see a diesel JK in Rubicon trim.....which is the only way I'd buy one.

Quick Reply: JK Diesels